Monday, January 09, 2006

Around and Around and Around

For some reason my dizziness is back. Maybe I haven’t gotten over my middle ear infection as well as I thought? I don’t know — but I do know that this is no fun. It makes me feel pukey. Remember when you were a kid and twirled around and around until you fell down? Just like that — but it doesn’t stop. I keep veering to the right so I guess I’m whirling clockwise instead of widdershins. If this doesn’t go away soon, I’m going to go bug my poor doctor again. At least it gives me a really good excuse to be lazy today. I have a lot of computer stuff to catch up on anyway.

They're dry now from their bath so I have the Crazy Color socks with the lace-rib cuffs to show off. Here’s the scoop:

Begun: December 23, 2005
Completed: January 8, 2006
Construction: Top Down with 5 needles.
Cuff: 7.5 inches
Calculated Cuff Measurement: 7.47 inches.
Gauge: 7.5 stitches per inch
Total Stitches: 56
Rib Stitches: 56; Rib Repeat: 14 sts. Based on “Girl’s Anklet Socks” from Socks Two p.19. (See pattern below.)
Heel Style: Flap/Standard; Width: Standard; Stitch: Partridge Eye
Toe Style: Standard; Toe Shape: Standard
Needle Size: 2.25 mm Boye Silavalume dpns
Yarn: 2 balls Regia 6 fädig Crazy Color, 75% superwash wool/25% polyamide, Col 5404 Lot 57865, stripes of purple, pink, lime, orange, and navy.

Scalloped Lace Rib:
Worked on a multiple of 14 stitches.
Foundation rnd: *k1, p1; rep from * around.
Rnd 1: *k1, yo, [p1, k1] twice, p1, sk2p, [p1, k1] twice, p1, yo; rep from * around.
Rnd 2: *k2, [p1, k1] 6 times; rep from * around.
Rnd 3: *k1, yo, [k1, p1] twice, k1, sk2p, [k1, p1] twice, k1, yo; rep from * around.
Rnd 4: *k1, p1; rep from * around.
Work rnds 1-4 once more.

Shift beginning of round over 7 stitches to the left and redistribute stitches on rest of needles to match. This brings the scallops centred over the leg.

Comments: The lace top ribbing is quite nice. I think I might increase stitches after the cuff to 60 or even 64 or use a larger needle size if I was to do it again. These are quite dense! Though time will tell as I wear the socks to see if they are comfortable just as they are. They will certainly wear better knit tightly. I can get them on anyway and they don’t feel uncomfortable. The colour patterns didn’t quite line up as hoped. The repeat is just slightly different the second time, making the full repeat almost a whole sock! (See the skinny dk blue stripes in one repeat and not the other.) It would be better just to let them work out completely differently that than try to match. The second sock ended up with an orange toe tip! Cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

welcome back!
Missed you.
The socks look great and very inspiring for me to learn to knit more( better)

Cheerio,
Susan