Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Uh-Oh

I was having trouble stuffing the Ninja’s Birthday socks in my little sock lunchbox. Since there’s an extra ball of wool which I’ll need to complete these, the box was much more stuffed than usual. I thought to myself, “Self, be careful with those 10 expensive skinny bamboo needles and make sure they don’t get squashed in the lid”. Unfortunately, Self wasn’t listening very well and I opened the box this morning to a busted needle tip. Wahhh…

Not to be thwarted by my own stupidity, I got out several different grits of sandpaper and proceeded to sand down the slightly shorter needle into a new tip. Polished it off with waxed paper. Haven’t noticed the difference so far. Whew. Disaster averted.

Since it’s gloriously sunny at the moment, I took advantage of the light to take a photo of the Sister-In-Law socks. Behold, a Finished Object:


Sister-In-Law’s Socks

Begun: January 7, 2007
Completed: January 22, 2007

Yarn: Fortissima Colori Socka Color, 75% virgin wool, 25% polyamide, 420 m = 100g, colour 2402 (blue/turquoise/magenta/red/orange/yellow rainbow, short lengths).
Needles: Addi Natura bamboo dpns, 2 mm.

Comments: My standard plain socks on 64 sts, 2/2 rib, top-down, 6.5” before heel-flap, 6.75” before toe decreases. Hope she likes them! They’re very colourful.

The Ninja had a really nice birthday party last night at his mother-in-law’s. It’s always wonderful to get all my kids together in one place. They were discussing their childhood while passing the new baby around and reminiscing about how lucky they were to have such great lives. Awwww!!! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over! My daughter did say that she remembers some silly family sayings and jokes and when she mentions any of them to other people, they look at her strangely. She doesn’t know what is in the common culture and what is unique to our immediate family. For instance, our version of “This Little Piggy Went to Market” is backwards, with the biggest piggy last. That’s so he can tickle with a deep-voiced “WEE-WEE-WEE” as he heavily tromps up “home”! Gee, everybody should do it our way. LOL!! We also have another game, initiated by T-Man, called Pillow and Blanket. You need two kids to play it, one acting as your pillow and the other as your blanket. They used to think it was hysterically fun. OK, you hadda be there.

Anyway he likes his socks already, only halfway done as they are. He forgives me for running late as always. Well almost always. It’s not my sis-in-law’s birthday until August. I’m either very late for the last one or very early for this coming one. I think my mother-in-law will be next again even though she just got a pair at Christmas. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks and she loved her custom-fit sockies so much that she was boasting to her seniors' bowling buddies about how wonderful they are. With her teeny little feet she can never get the right size commercial socks. Adults are too big and children’s are too wide.

I’m off to Beginner Spinning Class Number 3: Fibre Prep this evening. Wish me luck. I have to haul Tori the spinning wheel and a whole collection of wool combs, hand cards, and other tools plus some washed locks for combing. Good thing it’s only a 3 and a half block commute to the shop.

No comments: