Friday, April 27, 2007


Dance and celebrate! I’m finished with time to spare. Helped that my sewing machine has been behaving its little Pfaff-y self. I carefully turned it off if I had to leave it for any length of time in an attempt to keep it from overheating again. So yesterday I finished my pouch and cut out T’s. I made my belt and my circlet to wear over my veil. Today I finished T’s pouch and I made a new barbette for my veil because I don’t like how transparent it is. Plus it’s too narrow. The barbette (“little beard”) is the piece that goes under the chin and pins over the top of the head. Trust me, it looks better this way. Though I feel like a nun while wearing it. Must be a flashback to my Catholic schoolgirl past. Snort. It’s actually surprisingly comfortable although the whole contraption is only held on with straight pins. I even tested it with my hearing aids in because it covers my ears and I was concerned that it would cause some extra noise but it’s fine.

I was surprised when I made the roll for T’s hat that you need the tube very much longer than you think. Plus some more. I thought 4 extra inches was plenty but I ended up splicing in about 10 more inches than that. There’s a lot of take-up from the stuffing and the bending plus more still to join the parts together. I would have finished yesterday but I needed his head for fittings and by the time he got home from work, I was too tired to continue. Good thing I waited because it needed a wee bit more length still to sit properly on his head. I also got the liripipe/cockscomb top part of the hat cut out and sewn. I made the liripipe (think extended cone-shape that goes on sideways) really long so it will wrap right around his neck like a scarf. Fun! The cockscomb part is the wide end of the cone that just kind of flops over the side of the roll. Very period. Pretty amusing for the 21st Century. Yes, there will be photos on real bodies coming to this here blog eventually. Just keeping you waiting in suspense until ATW.

I even tidied up the studio and all it needs is a good vacuuming — along with the entire rest of the house. But that can wait for ATW. Meanwhile the dust bunnies can frolic unmolested until then. Just have some dishes to do and then I can rest up for tonight’s Rehearsal Dinner where I have to learn a dance and tomorrow’s wedding when we have to be at a park near the hall for photos before noon. Wedding itself is at 3pm and then the reception with a sit-down feast and dance after. I have to hold out as long as I can possibly manage so it’s going to be a particularly long day for me especially when I’m still sniffling and snorting with this flu. I’ll have to pace myself as best I can. I’m feeling a teensy mite better today but that situation could change at any moment. This is the Flu-That-Never-Leaves-Entirely remember. I don’t trust it one bit.

So in case you haven’t been following the tally in my sidebar, that’s 14 tunics, 3 hats, 1 veil and accompanying underpinnings and circlet, 1 belt, and 2 belt pouches. All sewn by my two little hands in about 5 weeks. I’d like to thank my vintage Pfaff sewing machine and my new Pfaff Coverstitch overlock, my favourite measuring tape, small Olfa rotary cutter, a number of rulers and t-squares, the cutting table, several pairs of scissors, Japanese thimble, and assorted needles and pins. I couldn’t have done it without you all. I still have lots of documentation to complete for my binder. Yes, I keep notes on all my projects. You have no idea how handy that can be in the future.


Nadia said...

Congrats on finishing all of that!

Sue said...

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hip hip horray!!!! Now for the festivities (and the pictures)

Anonymous said...

What an accomplishment!
Have fun and dance, eat and drink... it should be a grand day.

Hugs, Susan

Anonymous said...

Sat. morning and sunny. Have a wonderful day.