Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Finally Socks

Here’s the stats on my last pair of socks for T-Man:

T-Socks


Begun: July 15, 2007
Completed: August 9, 2007

Yarn: Meileweit Mega Boots Stretch Softcolor, 70% wool, 20% polyamide, 7% Elité, 100g = 400m, colour 502.
Needles: Addi Natura bamboo dpns, 2mm

Pattern: My usual top-down plain socks on 68 sts, cuff 24 rounds of 2/2 rib, 9” total before heel flap, 8-1/4” foot before toe decreases.

Comments: This yarn was originally for a pair for me but I decided that T-Man needed socks more than I did. I have more than a dozen pairs! He likes these ones a lot. It took longer than my usual 2 weeks to knit these because I was distracted by so many other projects. I really only started the socks just to have something plain and portable on the needles since everything else is either complex or non-portable or both.

BTW, if you were concerned about the toy trains my granddaughter got for her birthday, I checked and only one set is Thomas, but NOT any of the ones that have been recalled for lead content. Most of the train parts she got are a different brand that is compatible and have no lead issues. So we are safe. She doesn’t chew on her trains anyway. But her baby brother might. I think it’s great that she is a girly-girl who loves her princesses and purses and shoes but also trucks and cars and mechanical things. She loves to play in sand and gravel and especially water and doesn’t care about getting dirty. I’m glad she can have it all without feeling like she’s wrong in some way. Personally I can’t wait until she’s old enough to teach her fibre crafts like knitting and braiding. Not long now, I think.

What else? Just carrying on with my other projects and trying desperately not to start any new ones. I’ve been knitting on the elephant-sized slipper-socks that I’m hoping will felt down enough to fit me. My gauge is a bit loose as usual but these are only about 1/2” larger than they should be. I’m finding working on such a large scale is hard on my hands so it’s going slowly. The woven blanket warp is wound but not on the loom yet. Haven’t gotten any further with the Hepburn sleeves yet but I plan to spend some time this afternoon on it. I also need to get out and water the garden before it gets too hot out there. It’s been cool in the mornings (my bedroom was 15 C this morning) but warms up a lot towards late afternoon. Nice to see the sunshine even if this is only temporary and due to go back to rain later this week just in time for the weekend. Bleh. The weather is totally back-asswards. What global warming? I need to knit sweaters for my chilly tomatoes.

No comments: