Finished fiddling with the fingers so without further ado may I present:
Auntie’s 90th Birthday Gloves
Begun: December 28, 2007
Completed: January 9, 2008
Yarn: Meilenweit Colortweed sock yarn, 80% wool/20% polyamide, 100g=420m, Colour 1001. I only used about 1/2 of the ball.
Needles: Rib – 2mm Clover Takumi Bamboo dpns. Rest of glove – 2.25mm Clover Takumi Bamboo dpns.
Pattern: Combined Marnie MacLean’s “Hooray For Me” fingerless gloves with the medium woman’s finger lengths from Ann Budd’s “The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns”.
Comments: I had some trouble at the beginning because it turns out that I’m so used to knitting 2/2 rib that I kept making mistakes on 1/1 rib. Plus I was able to match the two gloves by starting again. I worked the fingers with the yarn as it came. The fingers are of course too long for me, especially the baby finger where I can fold over half an inch. I do hope that’s not too long for more normal fingers. I made the ribbing 3” long or so because I like warm wrists. I worked 3 more rows after the rib and before starting the thumb gusset but didn’t really need to do so. I think they turned out rather cute so I hope Auntie likes them and can wear them ok.
This is a great reminder of how to do gloves because I still need a pair myself. I need to finish spinning the yarn first but that should be easier now that I have my lace flyer for Tori. I need some more of the leftover black yarn from the Icelandic shawl. I only have enough for perhaps one glove. They use less yarn than a pair of socks though so it shouldn’t take too long to spin up the rest. However this project is going to have to sit on the backburner for a bit longer.
I still haven’t quite caught up with the housework but then I haven’t been working at it very hard. Heh! (Note to Gail: there was no Housecleaning Fairy available because he was sick too, just not nearly as sick as me. It was all he could do to continue to go to work and help with the basics, like food for us both.) So far I’ve done 4 loads of laundry and vacuumed up the old cats’ usual mess in the laundry area. Cat crunchies, tracked kitty litter and horked-up hairballs are a delightful mix with clean clothes. Not. Plus I did finally get the yarn dyed for The Ninja’s birthday socks. Rust as requested. I didn’t think he’d like one My Colours but he has a rust-coloured sweatshirt that he likes a lot so that gave him the idea. Don’t know if this will match but it’s purty yarn anyhow! Kinda semi-solid rust/red/orange dyed over light grey marl (with one of the four plies being dark charcoal). I’d show it off but it’s drying on the line at the moment.
For the weavers out there, I hope you’ll check out my buddy Susan’s new blog. There aren’t nearly as many weaving blogs as knitters so this is an important contribution to Blogland and she even has a new camera so we can expect lots of photos. Go, Susan!