Saturday, July 11, 2009


It’s nearly 29C (84F) and I was back in the garden today weeding, watering and splashing everything (including myself) with fish fertilizer. I smell like the tide went out! Our large bamboo that was damaged last year when our next-door neighbour put in the fence is now popping up all over the place with new shoots. It took the big loppers to deal with the biggest one that snuck up metres away from the main stems. Hope it’s haunting them next-door too. Just sayin’.

Speaking of bamboo, I finished my version of the Ishbel Scarf and here she is:

Bam-Boo-Bel Scarf


Begun: July 1, 2009

Completed: July 10, 2009

Yarn: SR Kertzer On Your Toes Bamboo sock yarn, 75% bamboo/25% nylon, 328 yds = 100 g, 1 ball.

Needles: Addi Lace 24” circular, 4mm.

Pattern: Ishbel by Ysolda Teague, from Whimsical Little Knits, smaller size.


Comments: Lovely little pattern which I managed to screw up in the plain area about 4 times. Last time I just picked up the stitch but it left a tighter area in the knitting. Won’t show while wearing though. I love how fast sock yarn knits up compared to cobweb lace yarn. I will make this one again I think. Meanwhile I want the matching beret and I have more than one ball left to do it with. Plenty. Might even be enough left for wrist warmers.

Meanwhile I’m carrying on with the Beaded Bias Scarf which is more than half done. I want to get that one off the needles so I can move on. Though I guess it’s kind of a perfect knit for this hot weather: small, knit on 2 bamboo dpns and in cool tencel yarn.

And speaking of bamboozled, I had a fun time looking after my neighbour’s house while they were away. Today one of the cats tried to escape and in catching her I managed to set off the alarm for about 3 seconds. I expected a call from the alarm company but when it didn’t come I figured all was well. Until I was putting away the hose (more watering) and a cop showed up in their back yard! I told him it was an accident and he gave me a hard time for not phoning it in. Then a short while after I got home I got a call from the neighbour who was finally home and wondering what happened because they had called them on cell phone and a cop (another one or the same one?) had been by. Yikes! It turned out the cats had knocked the upstairs phone off the hook! So that’s why the alarm company hadn’t called. They tried and couldn’t get through. I should have checked but how was I to know? I didn’t even know where the phones are located. Too much responsibility, I swear. I have enough trouble with my own house. Everyone survived though so I guess we’re ok. Did make me swear off getting another cat myself however. Pesky critters! Cute though.


Anonymous said...

Oh! It's lovely!

Lauren said...

No harm done with the false alarm. And the cats are very happy with the good care you took of them!

Louisa said...

Whew! Gave me conniptions, seeing the police show up like that.