Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Would You Like Some Cheese With That Whine?

What is it with people? Every article in my local papers includes much whining about something out of their control. Usually something somebody else is either doing or not doing that annoys the whiner. Spitting on the sidewalk, not giving up a seat in the bus, not looking one in the eye, noisy yard equipment or motorcycles or garbage trucks. Please, people! Don’t sweat the small stuff! It’s shortening your life. And yes, I am whining about the whining. Hypocritical, huh?

Extremely public examples: currently there’s a super-bad gang leader in jail here awaiting a murder trial who is complaining that he’s being mistreated because his jail cell is dirty, the authorities mess with his mail and he’s lonely in solitary. Poor baby. And there’s an Olympic luger from Alberta who’s bitching about the reception she’s been getting in Whistler by those who think the Olympics coming to their slopes is a big PITA rather than a blessing. Awwww! The world isn’t perfect. Get over it.

Yes, I’m having a tough week. Why do you ask? It’s not because I’ve invited a huge (huge!) bunch of family to Sunday’s Thanksgiving dinner. That I’m totally looking forward to. It’s the ones who can’t come that are making me crazy. Family: the people who know where your buttons are and how to push them.

Okey-doke. Enough of that. Let’s have another FO, shall we? This one I made in record time while we were driving around the desert.

NanaBel Shawl

clip_image002Begun: September 17, 2009

Completed: September 22, 2009

Yarn: West Coast Colour: Cathedral Grove, 50% merino/50% tencel sock yarn, dyed grays with a hint of pink, 412 yards per skein. No idea who this indy-dyer is but it’s lovely yarn, purchased at Knitopia (which is now back in White Rock from Langley, for whatever reason).

Needles: Addi Lace circular, 4mm.

Pattern: Ishbel by Ysolda Teague. Thousands of people have knit this one! It’s a hit.

Mods: Began the smaller size but worked charts A & B a second time as for the larger one. Did an extra 2 rows of chart D and could have done 2 more judging by the amount of yarn left over. But then I wouldn’t have finished before we got home!

clip_image003<- unblocked

Comments: This is the second version of Ishbel I’ve knit, this time for my mom-in-law and completed during our Utah vacation. Just finished the last stitch before pulling up beside our house!

Blocked Sept 28 using my blocking mats and wires which made it really easy. The fabric has wonderful drape and lace definition. Hope she likes it! I haven’t given it to her yet. Waiting for the right moment.

I currently have a number of projects on the needles and hooks. So much it’s kind of getting stupid! I have to buckle down and finish a few things.

3 comments:

Asylim said...

Hang in their Aunt Louisa.

Let us know if we can bring anything or if we can help with anything. I'm sure we can show up a bit early if you'd like some help.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Daniel

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Nanabel! Don't worry. The big holidays are yet to come. ;) Love & hugs to you.

Louisa said...

Thanks for the kind comment about Nanabel, Beentsy! The holidays don't scare me. I'm the scrooge who doesn't give prezzies.g

And that's ok, Big Red! All I want from you guys is to let me cuddle your new little one. I've been jonesing for some baby toes for awhile now. :)