Monday, November 23, 2009

How’d It Get To Be Monday Again?

I swear time goes faster and faster. Maybe that’s because I’m not bored? Still cruising on the cleaning – don’t want to stop while the urge is still there. And it’s still there, egged on because today would have been my birth mom’s 74th birthday. She missed it by a month. And I miss her. I still miss my other parents too. I was lucky to have more than the normal number but that doesn’t make it any easier now that they’re all gone.

OK, enough of the maudlin already. Here’s something positive:  I finished 2 projects this weekend and started a new one! Yeah, I know I still have what, for me at least, is way too many projects on the go right now. But I needed something mindless that has a chance of getting done sooner rather than later. Instant gratification. Easy-peasy. I need a break from the long-haul projects.

This is the beginning of Princess Pink’s Legwarmers:

PPlegwarmers_prog

I’m using the Pickles pattern from Knitzi but modified to eliminate the mohair. PP is famous for only wanting to wear skirts. Her legs get cold when she plays outdoors at kindergarten so these should help. I’m going to knit them as long as possible with lots of ribbing at the top and she can wear them over her tights. If that works out for her, I can knit another pair or two. This yarn is sock yarn from Germany donated by a knitting buddy. (Thanks, Lauren!) Isn’t the colourway terminally girly? So candy-sweet! At least it’s not all pink. Or blue. I seem to be awash in blue lately.

Here’s the scoop on the socks that I finally finished for Milady Daughter. Thought these beasts would never end!

Milady’s Lacey Socks

LaceySocksBegun:  September 19, 2009

Completed:  November 22, 2009

Yarn:  Meilenweit Mega Boots Stretch, 70% wool/23% polyamide/7% Elite, Colorway 707 (denim blues shading to wine red), 100g = 400m

Needles:  Clover Takumi 5” bamboo dpns, 2.25mm

Pattern:  Lace and Cable Socks by Wendy Johnson, size m, from her book “Socks from the Toe Up”

Mods:  Worked from top down instead of toe-up. Carried back cables down the sides of the heel flap and front cables to the toe, decreasing at the edge of the cable so as not to mess it up. The two cables ended up as a V at the end of the toe. Lace section ended about 1/2” before the toe decreases.

Comments:  I needed lots of stitch markers to keep track of this pattern and it seemed to take forever to complete the socks. Turned out nice though. I kept changing my mind or making mistakes so there was a lot of fudging going on. I could have managed one more lace repeat into the toe but chose to end it sooner rather than later. Hope the cables don’t make the toe area uncomfortable! They demanded to continue and you know I hate arguing with my knitting. Heh.

And here’s a sneak peek at the completed Blue Star Garland neckpiece:

BlueStars_blockIt’s still drying and I don’t want to pull the pins out too soon. It’s destined to curl back up again but I’d like to give it a chance to hold its shape for a little while anyhow.

No comments: