Begun: August 26, 2009
Completed: December 27, 2009 (finally!)
Yarn: Blue Moon Socks That Rock lightweight, colour Ravenscroft (black with hints of blue, green, purple) 360 yds = 127g, used 73 g.
Hook: 4mm (worked at an easy tension)
Needles: 3.75mm dpns
Pattern: Crochet Bobble Beret by Robyn Chachula, Knitscene Fall 2009
Modifications: The band looked too loose and thready. Could have maybe gone down another needle size? Instead of binding off, I did a round of purl, then continued to knit the rib pattern 5 more rounds. Folded the band in half and sewed the live stitches to the last round of crochet. It’s still a wee bit loose but if necessary, I can add elastic through the tunnel.
Comments: This took a very long time to complete! Started it before I went away in September and then didn’t pick it up again until a few weeks ago. I ended up beginning over again after my tension relaxed. I needed bright light and lots of concentration to keep track of the pattern increases and decreases. The buttons are some old metal ones from my stash. They look like they have 4 screws in them! I think they give a nice modern look to it. I wet-blocked the finished hat on a 10” plate suspended over a water glass to give the proper shape. I wanted it more beret-shaped than the photo accompanying the pattern.
Pardon the somewhat goofy photos. My T-Man is not a great fashion photographer and I’m not a great model! I like my new hat though. I have hopefully enough of this yarn left over to make a pair of gloves. With fingers this time.
We’re heading out shortly to walk downtown. We’re going to go see the Holmes movie! I’m such a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fan. We walked in the same direction yesterday, down to the water between Science World and the foot of the Cambie Bridge. We wanted to see how they were coming along with the Olympic Village. Pretty much ready for the athletes as far as we could tell! The weather was sunny but misty especially over the water: