Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Them’s Good Drugs!

Dragged myself out to my dear family doc yesterday only to hear that my bronchitis is viral and I just have to wait it out. Darn. No quick fix. However he did give me a prescription for some kick-ass cough medicine to get me through the night without coughing so much. It has a decongestant, antihistamine and codeine. Worked a treat! Knocked me flat and T-Man (and I) got a much better night’s sleep. I drank over a litre of water throughout the night though because I was so dry. Damselfly’s a windswept desert these days thanks to all the meds. (Moisturise me!) Then I go back to see dear doc on Friday again for my physical. At least now he’s not going to be so shocked at the mess I’m in. Heh.

So I’ve been doing a lot of net-surfing and reading (because that’s pretty much all I’m capable of) and I found this very cool series of tutorials from Amy Herzog, Fit to Flatter, aimed at knitters though it’s also applicable to crochet or sewing or even just purchasing clothes off the rack. You can read the series online or purchase them as PDFs, either individually or as a compendium when the final post comes out. (As of this writing, there are still 2 to go.) It covers a lot of the stuff I’ve been studying lately in a very clear manner. If you’re at all concerned about making sweaters that actually fit you properly and look good on you, by all means see this tutorial!

Meanwhile nothing else is getting done. I’m in a holding pattern trying to get well again. I seem to only be able to sustain the barest minimum of my usual chores but I can’t expect T to pick up all the slack. He’s been doing more cooking and watering than usual but he has a fulltime job. Unfortunately I’m getting further behind every day. Sigh. Oh well. Can’t really be helped. The most important stuff gets done somehow and the rest can either wait or…not. Sometimes you need a lesson on what’s really necessary for basic survival. The rest is just window dressing. Frills & furbelows. Icing on the cake.

And I had such high hopes for this summer too. Just goes to show you – life sometimes has other plans. The good news is the tide may have quit rising but I’m not ready to say for sure yet. Might just be a temporary halt.

No comments: