Monday, November 29, 2010

Still Not Here Yet

The grandbaby is now 9 days late! Doing fine apparently but still not ready to exit. Her poor mom is hanging in there and actually looking rather serene and cheerful. We are all getting somewhat impatient though! This kid is going to have a December birthday if she doesn’t hustle.

Meanwhile, I’ve been working on a new knitting project and trying to get a few things finished and tidied up in my studio. Not getting so far on the latter but I’m plugging away slowly. The knitting project is a slightly larger version of the Sassymetrical sweater by Gay Schiff (Ravelry link). She shared her own (extra-small!) size so those of us who want it larger need to size it up ourselves. Not a difficult task because it’s a simple top-down raglan with wide straight fronts that can be pinned or buttoned in a number of ways. I’m using a heavier yarn (Berroco Remix) which knits at 18 sts per 4 inches instead of her 20 sts so that increases the size right there. I already made the area to the underarm slightly deeper too: 7 inches instead of 6 and added 6 stitches at each underarm when I joined the body sections. I plan to make it a little longer and with 3/4-length sleeves for warmth and because the back is tapered I’ll need to adjust the shaping to fit me as I go. At least with top-down you can try it on! I knit off my Addi Lace circ onto a very long Denise cord when I want to do that instead of taking it off onto a string or whatever. Then I can just knit it back onto the nicer Addi when I’m ready. I also use the Denise cords with stoppers to hold my sleeve stitches until I’m ready to knit them. Very handy.

So I promised another FO, didn’t I?

Not-Pink Eyelet Neckwarmer

NotPinkNeckwarmer

For: Princess Pink

Begun: November 22, 2010
Completed: November 25, 2010

Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, 50% acrylic/50% cotton, colour 191/violet, used most of one skein.

Needles: Denise interchangeable circular, size 8 tips (5mm), cord just big enough to knit with.

Pattern: My own using the eyelet pattern with seed stitch edging to match her Not-Pink Cardi. Similar to my Green Eyelet Cowl but reduced to 90 stitches for a smaller size.

Comments: The curve develops when I make the cast-on edge tighter than the bind-off.

She asked for a scarf that would stay on and not get lost. Hope this fills the bill!

We had a fairly busy weekend trying to get our small amount of Christmas shopping done (more than half the way there) and seeing the new Harry Potter movie. It was absolutely perfect – following the book as closely as possible and looking exactly as I pictured it. Too bad it ended rather abruptly! Now I can’t wait for Part 2. I covet Hermione’s beaded bag too. It would sure save me from having to lug heavy backpacks all the time.

What else? Oh yeah, if you sew at all, the BMV pattern company has Vogue patterns on sale for US$3.99 and Butterick & McCalls on for US$1.99 today and tomorrow only. Plus with a $15 purchase today only you can get free shipping in the US & Canada. Of course I took advantage and ordered 5 patterns for a total less than the normal price of one single Vogue pattern. Super good deal! Yes, I know I need to get sewing.

No comments: