I have to show off my finally completed towels for the guild exchange. Chances are none of the members of my swap group read my blog (although one never knows) so I might still be able to keep the surprise intact. I just couldn't keep it to myself another whole month! The swap isn't happening until the June guild meeting. You won't tell them I jumped the gun, will you?
Yellowstone Hot Spring Tea Towels
I took the image fairly literally and used 17 colours of 2/8 unmercerised cotton to "paint" an interpretation of the photo as I wound the warp. Most of these were already in the stash as leftover bits and bobs. I put sticky tape on the first and last pegs of my warping board and arranged the cones on my rarely-used spool rack:
It was kind of tedious but fun! At least all of the design decisions were in the warp so the weaving part could be very simple:
The sett was 24 ends per inch and I thought I had made it wide enough to end up at the 18" minimum after finishing. It was nearly 20.5" in the reed and I used a temple to keep the draw-in minimal. The weave is a 4-shaft point twill and extended twill with a very easy treadling sequence. I got it from the book "Designing Woven Fabrics" by Janet Phillips. I thought it reminded me of the ripples of the water in the photo.
I finished the towels with machine washing and drying, cut apart, pressed and machine-stitched hems and a final press. The final finished size was 17.5" by 25.5" but I'm betting they will still shrink more in subsequent laundering. The hems flared a bit too much but I didn't have anything appropriate that was both finer and the right colour. They are a nice weight and the floats should absorb water very well. I'm happy with them. Glad I wove 6 though instead of 5 even though it was a struggle to squeeze the last one in. The first one was a bit more "interesting" than the rest!Glad that's done so I can move on to finishing up more of the gazillions of projects I have going right now. Today I'm sewing in the ends of my Still Dark Tunic that just came off the needles and then it can be washed and blocked. Who-hoo! That beast took 3 stinkin' months to knit but I'm very pleased with it. More as soon as I can.
But first, I have to see if this will post properly. The Ongoing Saga continues...