Monday, July 24, 2006

Turning a TOAD into a PRINCE

I heard a couple of new knitting acronyms the other day (new to me anyway): first you have a TOAD (Trashed Object Abandoned in Disgust) and which you can then turn into a PRINCE (Project Resurrected Into a New Creative Endeavour). Of course, I’m sure you first you have to get over the disappointment and frustration of your project becoming a TOAD before you can bear to even think about what kind of PRINCE it might become! I do like this concept however. It was the lovely Wren Ross (singer, author, actress, and knitter) who clarified it for me on Guido Stein’s It’s a Purl, Man podcast Episode 10 from way back in June. What can I say? I’m behind in my podcasts, email, blogs…well, virtually everything these days. However, you must hear Wren’s version of “Baa Baa Black Sheep”. It's a hoot!

Since it’s been way too hot here to be on the computer except in the morning, I haven’t even been turning it on much. I don’t do well past about 25 degrees Celsius and it’s been around 29 outdoors and over 30 in my studio. Even sock knitting is difficult when the bamboo needles stick to my puffy swollen fingers. My loom is now out on the deck so I can work on the sample warp. Otherwise nothing would get done and I’d just loll around in the shade with a cold drink!

There’s no pictures today because Blogger is being snarky. I finished the first pair of GD socks and they turned out very well. They’re drying on the railing outside right now. I’ve already started the second pair from my Sea Socks leftovers, but since I’m not sure if I have enough yarn (and yes, I work top-down) the cuffs are a bit shorter and the toes may have some contrast yarn on them if I run out before the end. I’m writing up the pattern, since I did change it somewhat from the original, but I won’t finish today. I’m heading out to the deck before my eyeballs melt.

Comments
Thank you, Maureen, for being the first to download my Lace Leaf Socks (at least that admitted to it!) and I hope you’ll let me know if there are any errors in the pattern. And yes, Susan, you can peek at the GCW sample. That’s the perks for being Guild President, hey? Sharon, I didn’t find that missing needle and there’s not enough yarn left for it to hide in the ball. But I did make a new one from a bamboo skewer even before you suggested it. Hey, it feels just like the other ones! So why are the Addi Naturas so expensive, eh? Or conversely, why am I buying them when I could make a gazillion from a cheap package of skewers? Yes, that’s a rhetorical question.

Erratum
Oops, I lied! You can still get 2 out of the 3 lace books I mentioned in the last post from Schoolhouse Press. I should have known. Meg wouldn’t let these go OOP unless she had no choice. Guess I should have looked first, huh? Nice to know there is a place to get them because if you love lace knitting, particularly designing your own, these are indispensable. There’s also another hard-to-get book there, Hazel Carter’s “Shetland Knitting from Charts” that I should contemplate adding to my library.

No comments: