Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Boxing Day

And I’m avoiding the huge sales that are on this week like crazy. Hope everyone who celebrates had a great day yesterday! We had a lovely turkey dinner with the family at my daughter and soon-to-be son-in-law’s. I was so glad that dinner was not at our house this year because I was feeling like wet Kleenex. Just hoping nobody else catches it. I've had it since Wednesday though so I should be less contagious by now. There was no way I was going to miss the party! It was a lot of fun. Nice to hand the responsibilities down to the next generation, hey?

My daughter’s soon-to-be in-laws came over from Victoria and they were a big help. Step-dad was a big help in the kitchen along with my sis-in-law so I didn't feel too bad that I wasn't up to much assistance. I played a little with my granddaughter but mostly let my teenaged niece and nephew have all the fun with her. My 13-year-old nephew is wonderful with little ones! My daughter-in-law is feeling very rotund (or is that fecund!) and was hoping that the baby would have been born by now. His due date is this Friday but he may become a New Year's baby if he doesn't hustle! My son is getting quite excited about the impending birth. He's such a good dad! Her mom was also able to come which is great. Since she's on her own (long divorced from DIL’s dad), she's become a definite part of the family. And NOT just because she makes a mean marinated mushroom dish that we always make her bring! She’s also the artist who painted the persimmons for my kitchen.

Another nephew and his wife dropped by with their two little ones before heading over to her parents' for dinner. My birth mom, sister and her son, T's 2 elderly aunties, his mom, 2 brothers and their spouses — I think there were 22 people for the turkey dinner! And that's just immediate family. And by no means all of them either. I don’t think any of us has a house big enough for the whole gang at once!

My sister loved her fuzzy shawl and agreed that it looks like water. I’ll be making another one for my baby sister later. I gave my daughter-in-law the Peapod sweater and hat for the new baby. She and my son both loved them. My mother-in-law loved her socks too. And they fit perfectly. Of course! (I’m so good.) I promised to put my sister-in-law on the sock list because she loves the idea of handknit socks and has never had any. Her feet are the same size as mine and she loves bright colours so this should be easy. I only knit for those who appreciate it! Otherwise, why waste my time?

Today we spent a quiet day trying to get over The Bug. I needed some air so we went for a short walk to the store for necessities. The drawback to having somebody else cook the turkey — no leftovers! The 3 blocks there and back were plenty for us both. It’s not raining right now though so the rule here is get outside while you can for it might be pouring later. Even though it’s not what you might call bright, it’s brighter outside than indoors. Even with the Christmas lights on.

I’m up to the long stretch of the foot on the Forest Socks and have one more repeat of the centre bud section before starting the lily-of-the-valley section on my Swallowtail Shawl. Nothing much to bother photographing yet. It’s a perfect time to knit while it’s quiet and I’m not up for much else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just love what you said about Christmas being about light and all the good stuff. It's such a great reminder. I just hosted my family dinner and felt much of the pressure you describe. Anyway thanks--great inspiration and a reminder that it can be any way we need it to be. I hope you're feeling better!