Thursday, January 04, 2007

Forest Socks


Yep, they’re finished! Missed counting an even 20 Socks in 2006 but it’s not a race, right? 1 pair so far for 2007 instead!

Begun: December 19, 2006
Completed: January 3, 2007

Yarn: Sisu, 2 - 50g balls (160 m per ball), 80% wool/20% nylon, colour 1438 (3 strands light grey/1 strand dark charcoal), dye-painted greens/olives/browns/turquoise.
Needles: 2mm Clover Takumi dpns

Comments: My standard classic, top-down/flap heel sock. 68 sts, 8.5” to heel flap, 8.25” to toe dec. I loved the colours though quite a bit of yellow-green came out in the rinse. Not properly set in the microwave? Not enough acid left in my re-usable bucket of acid soak water? Apart from the pain of rinsing and re-rinsing to get out the bleeding dye, it didn’t seem to change the colours at all. At least not obviously to me. There was only about 10 yards each left at the end. Could have done another couple of rounds on the leg! But that might have been cutting it too close for comfort.

In other crafty news, I’m trying to decide what I want to start next. The Ninja needs another pair of birthday socks (this time without the tabi toes) but I want to dye the boring grey yarn something more interesting first. I got smart this time and got 3 balls of Sisu since 2 aren’t enough for his bigger-than-dad’s feet. I’ve also put one of my sisters-in-law on the sock list. Although her birthday isn’t until August, she looks so wistfully at other people’s socks that I told her she would get a pair of her own soon. I have just the yarn for her already in the stash. Maybe I’ll knit them first. I was getting really antsy last evening while watching TV without any plain knitting to do.

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to finish more UFOs, so I’m getting out the languishing Pomatomus socks. I think I stopped them for 2 reasons. One, I couldn’t work on them without looking and two, I’m afraid I’ve made a mistake in the transition between row repeats. I’m going to have to look at them again with fresh eyes and decide whether to frog and start over or not. It might be a good idea to start on them afresh anyway.

I’ll leave you today with a photo of the cutest little honey mandarin oranges that I found in the fruit and veggie market. They are so small that you can eat at least 4 at a time and they’re very sweet. For scale, my hand is very small for a woman, more like a 10-year-old’s, and I adore miniature things!

Posted by Picasa

Notice the Picassa2 logo - Blogger wouldn't let me post pictures today so I circumvented that by using Picassa instead. Pfffttthhh!!

No comments: