Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hand Dyed

HandDyed I was picking more of the coreopsis today and as usual dyed my fingers yellow in the process. Luckily it comes off (since I haven’t been mordanted recently!) except for my thumbnail that serves as a clipper for removing flower heads. However I did have a weird experience. I got a bug bite on my leg so decided to try T-Man’s “After-Bite” stuff on it. Then I touched the spot with my coreopsis-stained fingers and left a bright red-orange streak on my skin! Reading the label on the tube said the ingredients are ammonia (which turns yellow coreopsis dye to orange) and mink oil! How does this mixture affect bug bites? Beats me. Certainly affects the dye though. Backyard science lesson for today.

So yesterday I got really ambitious and finally decided to get new glasses. I’ve needed both new frames and an updated prescription for quite some time. It’s hard to get in to see my ophthalmologist (6 month wait) though if I had made an appointment when I thought of it, I’d have been in by now. But I didn’t and I finally decided I wanted instant gratification. I went to my optical where I’ve been getting my glasses for over 15 years and picked out a wild pair with wide temples burgundy red on the outside and bright orange on the inside with a square metal plaque and (gasp!) a jewel at each corner. The rims are metal and only on the top. The bottom of the frame is rimless. They actually look quite modern and fun. Guess I was in a flamboyant mood at the time, huh?

Of course I was still without an updated prescription for my progressive lenses so the shop made a quick appointment for me at the optician (sorry, optometrist) next door. How convenient! It only took about half an hour. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for my new lenses. Including my sunglasses which of course need my new distance prescription in them too. I’ll have to wear hats a lot in the meanwhile. Oh, and I also got my hair cut. Before I started trying on glasses frames. I wanted the effect on the “usual-super-short-haired” me, rather than the “hair-sticking-out-everywhere” me.

After watering everything in sight (again!) I decided I was tired of gardening and instead continued with the Princess Pink Pinafore. I have no idea if I’m going to have enough of the pink yarn but the design is such that I can add more contrast if I have to. It’ll just make it more interesting. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it! Here it is so far:

PPPinaforeAt least the texture makes it not quite so boring. More knitting necessary. I have a deadline to meet! At least I can knit and read at the same time.

No comments: