Monday, December 28, 2009

I’ve Been Remiss

T-Man went back to work today after a week off. I miss him although it is giving me a chance to catch up on a few things that have gotten lost in the shuffle. Anyhow, here I thought I’d blogged all my Finished Objects but today I discovered that I’ve totally missed two whole items!

The first is the sweater that I remade out of T’s old sweater that he refused to throw out. I was waiting for a photo of me wearing it, but we never got around to it. Here’s what I have anyway:

Green Peace Cardi

clip_image001Begun: December 2, 2009

Completed: December 16, 2009

Yarn: my vintage (30 years old!) handspun Romney wool, 2-ply, approx. 90 yds = 100 g, blended green (blue, greens, gold), recycled from an old turtleneck pullover sweater, 625 g (225 g remaining).

Notions:  two large abalone shell buttons (nearly as vintage as the yarn)

Needles: Denise interchangeable circulars, 6.5 mm tips, going down to 5.5 mm tips for the garter hem.

Pattern: Shalom Cardigan by Meghan MacFarlane.
or the direct pattern
pdf link. I used many of the modifications used by Susan for her Shalom on Ravelry.

Mods: Used cable cast-on, 77 sts. First row = wrong side (even rows are right side rows). Reduced twisted rib sections by 2 rows each. After increases: 123, 151, 195 sts. Made 2 buttonholes using "reinforced buttonhole" from M. Stanley, first as patt, second just before second inc. Divided body: 35/34/57/34/35, leaving armhole sts on holder. Cast-on 10 sts at underarms. Added 4 short-rows at back section to lengthen. Side shaping: 4" straight then dec 2 sts each side every 6th row twice, straight to 8" from underarm, inc 2 sts each side every 6th row 3 times, straight to 16" from underarm, change to smaller needles, k 4 garter ridges, bind off from public side in purl (matches neck edge). Pick up 16 sts (10 underarm sts, plus 3 corner sts) and k around armhole, bind off in purl.

Final size: bust 40” plus overlap (2” positive ease), hip 44” (edge-to-edge, no overlap, 0 ease), neckline 23”, yoke 7” deep, length 17” from underarm and 25” from shoulder point, armhole 16” diameter.

Comments: The yarn is very old and lumpy-bumpy. Actually looks like handspun! Unlike anything I can produce these days, that’s for sure. And it’s somewhat felted after all the years and washings.

There were fitting problems post-blocking. Needed to frog 6” (back to 3 inc rows instead of 6) and re-knit to the hem. If at first you don’t succeed, try again! Because, darn it, I did want to wear this thing.

Now fits me absolutely perfectly, just skimming the (lumpy) body and not stretching or gapping. I’m so pleased! I can see more similar sweaters in my future. Different yarn though. Not sure what I’ll do with the leftovers either. Maybe another Hill Country Hat? Or maybe it’s too scratchy.

Next missed completed item was the gift I made for my guild’s Christmas Party. I discussed the party but didn’t give the details of my contribution so here they are:

Blue Star Garland Scarflet

For:  GVWSG Christmas Swap


Begun: November 3, 2009

Completed: November 22, 2009

Yarn: handspun 2-ply merino, light fingering/lace weight, colour Baltic (blue) from Ashland Bay fibres purchased at Birkeland Bros, spun on Louet Victoria with regular head.

Beads: 6/0 root beer trans AB

Pattern: Starfish motif from “Freeform Style” by Jonelle Raffino and Prudence Mapstone

Hook: Clover Soft Touch 3.75mm

clip_image003Comments: I charted the pattern using standard crochet symbols. Each round is a different colour just to distinguish them from each other. The little green marks on two legs show where I joined each motif to the previous motif as I went. Take the hook out of the chain, put it through the tip of the attachment point, pull loop through and carry on with the pattern. I also used the beginning tail to attach the centre bead before burying the end.


The final size blocked to 2.5 yards long which will make a nice little scarf or could be used as holiday decoration. I’m sure the legs will curl up again but I don’t think that’s a problem. They’re like little starry hugs!

A lovely and talented new guild member won this which makes me very happy. She wants to learn how to crochet these motifs now.

Whew! I feel better getting those off my chest. Currently I’ve started a new pair of plain socks for The Ninja’s birthday next month. And I’m nearly finished a quick sweater for Blodgie, my hot water bottle (aka The Rubber Heat Water Bag). It’s a woolly orange turtleneck with a charming cable pattern on the front. Should go well with his green rubber skin, don’t you think? Very pumpkin-like. This time I’ll remember to post the FO in a more timely fashion.

BTW Sherlock Holmes was a wonderful movie! In some ways, much more true to the characters in Doyle’s books. There will be a sequel, I guarantee it – especially since they’ve set us up for it already! This afternoon I get to babysit the grand-beasties while their parents go see it themselves. Glad we got our dibs in first or I’m sure there would be some spoilers in the conversation afterwards!


Jonelle Raffino said...

What a clever use of the Starfish pattern from our book! I enjoyed seeing this project. Best of luck.

Jonelle Raffino

Louisa said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment on my little project, Jonelle!

It's so exciting when the designer of the pattern can contact me directly. Whoo!

Prudence Mapstone said...

wow! I have just caught up with your photos, too, Louisa. I love your blue star garland, and think that is a really excellent way to use the starfish motif from our book.

Louisa said...

Oh my! Not one but TWO author/designers!! Double-wow. And thanks, Prudence. Not exactly in your league at all, but I do have fun!