Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Year-End Review

P1040431

Since it’s nearly Winter Solstice (for us it’s tomorrow night, Dec. 21 at 9:30pm PST) which is my idea of the true end of the year and beginning of the next, I’m going to list what I’ve accomplished this year.

Today I got out my notebook where I record my craft projects.

I spun:

  • 1000 yds of 2/ply worsted weight yarn

I knit:

  • 12 pairs of socks/slippers
  • 2 pairs boot buffers
  • 3 pairs of mitts/gloves
  • 7 scarves/shawls/cowls
  • 6 sweaters
  • 4 baby bibs

I sewed:

  • 1 quilt
  • 2 pillowcases
  • 1 top
  • 2 skirts
  • 3 tunics
  • 2 dresses
  • 2 shorts
  • 1 capri pants
  • 1 baby bunting
  • 2 thread catchers

I dyed:

  • lots of yarn
  • wool fleece
  • 1 old blanket
  • 1 t-shirt
  • 1 sweater
  • 1 set of 6 napkins

That’s more than one project per week finished. I also read, cooked, gardened, walked, camped, babysat and of course, cleaned. I’m sure there’s a few more items in there that I haven’t mentioned but that’s good enough for purposes of this review. I’m pretty happy with everything I did. I learned a lot about fitting and sewing which was one of my big goals. And there’s always more to learn. It’s never-ending. Yay!

This was a much better year health-wise than 2010. Of course it wouldn’t have taken much to be an improvement because you might recall that last year was the Year of the Itchy-Peelies! Brrrr….horrors. I don’t want to think about that. I’ve been getting lots of exercise and my immune system seems to have behaved itself pretty well. I only vaguely remember having one cold/flu thing and it really wasn’t bad as these things go. Otherwise I’m feeling pretty fit and well for someone who’s heading into that time of life that has been erroneously labelled “old” – obviously by someone young. I’m not old; I’m just reaching my stride! We’ll discuss “old” in another 20 or 30 years or so, OK?

Oddly nothing momentous happened this year in my family. It was our 40th wedding anniversary in July but T-Man and I celebrated it quietly by ourselves. No births, deaths, marriages, divorces or whatnot. Just a steady progression of life and growth and learning and production. This is good. I didn’t really need another stressful year.

Now 2012 is coming up as a new journal of blank pages. We’ll see what gets written there as we move on into the New Year. I’m looking forward to the next week or so of family feasting and visiting and then the quiet and peaceful creating time of January and February. Moving right along. Have I mentioned that time moves way too fast? It really does. Guess that means I’m having a good time, huh?

No comments: