Monday, January 09, 2012

Quick & Dirty

Just a drive-by post since I can’t get a photo of my new Yoke Dress or my now-completed Madder Rose Shrug. It’s been dark and rainy and I just couldn’t get motivated enough to cajole T-Man into taking pictures. I wish that I had an area in my house that’s clear and bright enough for photo shoots but no. Apparently I have to cover every single wall with something. I have a couple of folding closet doors that would work but they are too far away from any window. I am not a fan of flash but much prefer real daylight. Of which there isn’t much around here this time of year. Standing out in the rain is not exactly an option. Sigh.

Then there’s the question of how to take the pics. He’s a dear man but T is not much of a fashion photographer. And I’m not much of a model either! I’ve tried using a tripod and timer but it’s not an improvement. I almost always look wooden and stupid to my own eyes. Not much better than Debbie Double except that I have a head and arms. And more than one leg. I quite envy the great photos that other bloggers seem to manage to get. Props, motion, liveliness! Perhaps I might do better if I really cared enough to try harder. Ya think? It’s hard to justify the time and effort though. I just want to get on to the next thing!

The jury is still out on whether or not I really like how the shrug turned out. I wasn’t able to put the button in because it fell in the wrong place at the seam lines. I’ll probably pin it closed instead. The way this sweater is shaped and constructed it feels to me like there is too much back and not enough front on it. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing though. I’ll get back to you on this when I try wearing it a few times and the jury finishes deliberating.

Meanwhile I didn’t get much else accomplished this weekend. I was in Reading Mode, having perused a metric tonne of new-to-me sewing blogs and finished most of a historical-fantasy paperback. I even have a pile of dirty dishes to wash today to prove that I was a layabout. Except for yesterday when we walked downtown to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Excellent – though I feel like I’ve seen that movie somewhere before? But somehow Mikael looks a little bit like James Bond this time. Doesn’t have his moves though. Go figure.

So if you don’t hear too much from me in the next while it’s because my sister is coming on Thursday to visit for a week. We will be spinning, knitting, eating and shopping. She lives in heartbreakingly beautiful but isolated Haida Gwaii (formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands) and goes a little nuts when confronted with a city’s worth of options. Can’t blame her, can you?

Go do something useful, Damselfly!

No comments: