Saturday, March 31, 2012

Food For Thought

I usually try to stay out of the controversial stuff. Not that I’m not opinionated! But my dear departed mummy always tried to teach me to be a little more diplomatic than my nature usually suggests. Sometimes though I just can’t help myself. The area of copyright as it affects the arts and crafts is one that has particularly strong opinions on all sides. I just read an exceptional post by Leah Day, a fabulous quilter, teacher and all-around decent and generous person, on this topic and want to share it. Go here. Discuss. And for the record, I agree with Leah.

Not much else has been happening in Damselfly’s pond. Still coughing though feeling much better otherwise. Still knitting on both Ten-Stitch Blankets alternately. Still contemplating – and not doing anything – to the Asymmetrical Collar Fleece Jacket pattern. Still reading way more than I should be. Because while I’m reading, hey! I’m not getting much else done! But I’m chalking it up to healing from the Zombie Plague. Yeah, that’s my excuse and I’m stickin’ to it.

Meanwhile, I’m off shortly with a fellow weavers’ guild member to look at a Lendrum spinning wheel that’s been in storage after its original owner passed away some 10 years ago. Her husband wants to clear out his storage and we’re thinking of purchasing the wheel for the guild’s rental collection. It isn’t what I was hoping for unfortunately because I really wanted a double-treadle and it’s apparently a single. Not that I care particularly myself but it seems that newer spinners prefer the double for whatever reason. But that’s another controversy that I’d rather not pursue! Anyhow at least it folds which was more than our old wheels did. Much more conducive to travelling about. If it doesn’t work out we can always sell it and continue to hunt for something better. More anon.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I have a single treadle Lendrum wheel and love it. Once when I was spinning production level amounts of yarn I would put both feet on the treadle so my hips didn't get all wonky. Worked just fine.

Glad you are feeling better.

Sharon in Surrey said...

A single treadle folding wheel trumps a double treadle that don't!!! Buy it, it will leave the building. If not, Dotti will buy it!!!hehehehe And I can put you in touch.