Tuesday, February 19, 2013

New Patterns

Whew! My Vogue patterns finally arrived and in an intact envelope for once. My kind postman rang the doorbell and handed it over because it wouldn’t fit in my mailbox. It was raining and I guess he didn’t want to leave it under the mat. I think he knows someone is usually home.

I know at least one of my Faithful Readers wanted to know what I ordered this time. I know I keep swearing off the pattern sales because I always have to practically reinvent the whole thing in order to get it to fit anyway. However, there have been a few that are too complex to be worth trying to draft from scratch.

BTW, I’m cheating by borrowing the illustrations from the BMV website. Too much trouble to photograph the pattern envelopes. Have I mentioned how much I detest most of the model garments? Nearly everyone who makes these up does a better job at it. I’ve seen some fabulous pieces sewn using some patterns that look totally ho-hum at first glance! Thank goodness for sewing blogs, PatternReview and Pinterest. (No, I’m not on Pinterest myself. I just search it.)

V8709

V8709

This is one of Marcy Tilton’s with an interesting swing shape and 2 different collar treatments. They call it a blouse but I’ve seen sleeveless vest and longer jacket versions. I think it might need a little of the front swing removed and some length added. At least it has pockets! I have some linen that I hope is enough for a vest version.

V8876

V8876

Another one of Marcy’s, this one a dress. There’s the option of sleeveless, a little sleeve or long sleeves and she shows one with both sleeve options in two different fabrics. A zipper or buttons fasten the front and the collar has a drawstring tie. The model garments are much nicer in this set in my opinion. I especially like this one with the look of hand-painted fabric:

V8876 backC

Somewhere in my stash I have some nice rayon/linen that would be fun to dye up for this. I like buttons rather than a zipper.

V1234

V1234

This is one of Sandra Betzina’s Today’s Fit patterns. I know it looks like saddlebags but I’ve seen some really nice versions in a really drapey knit that hangs in a more flattering way. However I’m betting it’s going to be very long on stumpy little me and it’s not immediately obvious how it could be shortened. I do like the little cap sleeve better than sleeveless. Someone made one with longer sleeves and it looked great too. I don’t immediately have anything that I think would work for this dress and it’s a real fabric hog. I want silk though the price might be prohibitive.

V1333

V1333

This is another Sandra Betzina and another of those patterns that is funky and cool but hardly anyone has made. I think the fabric choice makes it look much more complicated than it is. I don’t much like the top (the sleeves look upside down to me!) but the funky skirt is fairly simple with an overlay that has tucks. It’s kind of a redux of an earlier design that was a little more complicated – lots of tiny tucks on the side opposite to the overlay – and a wider fitted waistband. This one simplifies the idea and there’s comfy elastic in the waist. After my red skirt (the one with the magenta lace hem on the lining), I’m not so enamoured of any waistband without elastic in it. Yes, I AM a granny!

No idea what I would make this thing out of or even whether it might be flattering at all on me. It just intrigues me.

V8854

V8854

Quite a few people have made the hoodie version of this with the high-low hem. I like this collar though I’m not so sure about the pocket. Maybe. It’s supposed to be made from a knit although I’m wondering if I can get it out of a soft brushed cotton twill. Perhaps if I don’t fit it too closely? I might have to muslin this one. Darn.

V8755

V8755

I liked the simple lines of this dress or tunic. Even the colour-blocked version is nice and has possibilities to use up smaller pieces of fabric. Though it does have a back zipper which often is a waste of sewing unless it is quite tightly fitted. I’d have to test by basting up the back and seeing if I can still get it on. I’m debating on whether dress or tunic would get more wear. The pants are included but they have a fitted waist. Not going there.

So. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! I still haven’t told you about my new books but instead now I need to get outside on this sunny February day. My garlic is up a couple of inches now and the crocuses are blooming. Sorry if there’s still snow where you are. Spring will come sometime regardless. It always does.

3 comments:

Dixie said...

Nice patterns you've chosen here. I've used a couple of them. 8709 is a really cool looking shirt/jacket, but the muslin I made looked terrible on me. It has a back peplum that extends to the front as the outside of the pockets. Those pockets just don't flatter me. But I love the collars and placket, and plan to use them on another pattern.
8854 is cut really wide in the sleeve, IMO. I made it with a drapey ponte that I really like, but I haven't worn it yet because the sleeves are so huge. And, they drop off the shoulder a bit. But I know you'll adjust for that.
Hope you have fun with the patterns. It will be interesting to see what you make with them!

Louisa said...

Thanks for the hints and tips on those patterns, Dixie! You're right. I refuse to cut anything out until I've made sure that it's narrow enough for my shoulders and arms and wide enough for the rest of me. I think it'll be interesting to see what I make too!

pao said...

I was so excited to see what patterns you chose. I also bought the Marcy Tilton dress one, but haven't gotten to it yet. That's the only duplicate we have. I do want the other Tilton blouse/jacket, but haven't picked it up yet. I've started checking out patterns on ebay and have found new patterns offered quite cheaply there - including new and oop vogue.