Wednesday, January 01, 2014

A New Year Dawns

We sort of missed the actual stroke of midnight last night. Not into partying with the younglings, we went to bed around 10:30pm but got woken up several times with fireworks going off at random moments. The last time it happened I roused enough to look at the clock and it was already 12:30am. Waahh! I missed hearing the boats in the harbour sounding off which is always my favourite New Year’s event. Oh well. There’s always next year, yes?

Oh right! I was going to show you my fabulous prezzie from dear Heather (True Stitches). She recently had a little giveaway on her blog which I didn’t actually participate in, thinking that I have enough stuff. However, she had something that she knew was totally me so sent me a little package anyway:

Prezzie1

A lovely card and this very special piece of fabric:

Prezzie2

Look! Damselflies!!! <squeee!> You can tell because they can can fold up their wings. Big cousins the dragonflies can’t. Those ones look exactly like the damselfly I sometimes draw with my signature. It’s an indigo print on a very lightweight and crisp voile. I’m thinking if I hem it, I can wear it as a summer scarf. It’s long enough to wrap around my neck. Love.

And that’s not all! She also included this lovely little hand-stitched book:

Prezzie3

See? It has sewing-themed fabric covers! And a lovely red inside:

Prezzie4

Guess I’m obliged now to actually use this notebook, hey? Rather than put it on a bookshelf with its pristine pages all blank. Oy. I’m so bad at actually using these things. They’re just so much more precious than Post-Its, aren’t they? Thanks so much for thinking of me, Heather! Super Big Hugs!!

So I decided that I don’t need a Word for this new year. I’m just going to keep on keeping on. Clean a little, clear a little, use a little, buy as little as possible. Except food. We never stint on good food! Fresh, maybe local, maybe not. Maybe organic. Varied and different foods like jicama, pomello, rapini, bison, teff, sorghum flour, hemp hearts, chia, quinoa…

Hmmm…can you tell we recently shopped at Famous Foods and Kin’s Market? Famous Foods is a small local independent grocery store that’s been around forever and is famous (pun!) for its bulk packaged items. We stocked up on lots of things for my favourite gluten-free pancakes and muffins. They’ve also got legumes, cereal grains, pastas, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices. Kin’s Farm Market is our go-to for fresh produce. They began business locally as an actual farm but now are expanding as a franchise chain. They sell only fruits and vegetables, both local and imported with many organic options too, and nothing else – not even a container of milk. Now we’re all stocked up for awhile.

Today we’re off visiting, first to friends’ for a quick drop-in and then out to our nephew’s mom-in-law’s house for more family noshing and schmoozing. Gotta take it while you can get it!

More anon!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Big hugs back!

Anonymous said...

Heather's parcels are a wonderful surprise. Lucky you.