Thursday, June 16, 2005

Just Ruminating Today

I just got back from a visit to Ivy my physiotherapist for a treatment followed by a visit to Pat my hairdresser for a cut. Boy, do I feel pampered! Not being one of those matrons who are always visiting the "salons" it's pretty unusual for me to spend so much time on these things. I'm kind of an oddity for a woman — don't wear perfume or makeup or nailpolish or pantyhose or heels. I wear whatever I feel like — don't care what's in style or what others think. Of course that leaves all the money I save by not buying all the usual feminine stuff for the stuff I do love: books, magazines, fibres, yarns, dyes, tools etc. Works for me.

Every once in awhile I feel a little odd though. Like at a wedding or party where most of the people are strangers (or nearly so). The usual ice-breaker question is "So what do you do?" I've given up trying to explain all the things I'm excited about and usually just say "fibre artist" and/or "craft instructor". The trouble with "fibre artist" is people always want to know where I sell my work and seem disappointed when I say that I don't, I sell my expertise instead. That usually causes the conversation to drop when they realize they don't really have a clue about what a fibre artist is and they aren't the least bit interested in finding out. I usually end up pointing out what I'm wearing that I've made, whereupon they say "Oh, I could never do that! You must have so much patience!" Argghhh...not with that attitude I don't!

The rest of the time I hang out with my fellow fibre people and feel perfectly normal. They all know what I'm talking about and I don't have to explain why I spent 3 months recycling my 25-year-old handspun yarn to knit a new sweater out of it or why I actually use handwoven tea towels every day. I'm even going to a potluck meeting with my weavers & spinners guild this evening. (Note to self: Need to make a dish to take and don't forget the plate, cutlery and handwoven napkin!) It'll be fun — especially since we don't meet again until next September. I love them all a bunch!

One last rumination on myself for today is that I'm really happy with my relatively svelt new figure. Now if I could get rid of the migraines and the osteoarthritis (and lose 20 years while I'm at it!) I'd be a totally healthy and happy camper. Of course I could lose some more weight but I think it's still slowly coming off a tiny bit at a time. Doesn't matter; right here is good. I've managed to keep it off for more than 6 months now so I know I'm not going to blow back up to where I was a year ago. (As long as I'm still reasonably careful that is.) Low carb works! Don't listen to the nay-sayers! My doctor is very happy with what it's done for my health. The best part is going through all the clothes I wisely didn't throw out for things I can wear again. I have a whole wardrobe back that was unavailable to me for years! Now it fits just fine. Happy Dance!!!

Yeah, there'll be more about my crafts next time. I was indulging in myself today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Louisa,
I loved reading about your experiences with non-artistic people who aren't the least bit interested in what you live for. I have been there and it is very frustrating, like the fellow who commented "my wife knits too" when I told him I had handwoven my blouse. Sigh... Judy in Minden, Ontario