Thursday, July 14, 2005

I Have a Friend

She lives in my kitchen and she (or one of her offspring) has been there for almost two years. See her upside down there by her hidey hole? I know that having a spider in your kitchen might announce that you're a lousy housekeeper, but Queenie (that's what I call her) and I have an understanding. I mostly leave her alone — unless her web gets too big and messy — and she snags any errant fruit flies or bugs she can get ahold of. I'm pretty sure she has another web outside the window. The pickings are pretty thin indoors and she's a pretty big spider. I haven't identified her genus yet. Whenever I get too close Queenie dives into the hole in the window sash (the window no longer opens and is painted shut). She's pretty smart but I don't think she quite understands that I'm just curious and not hostile. I'm sure spiders have had to put up with a lot of abuse from arachnaphobic humans over the millennia. (A few visitors to my house have noticed Queenie and weren't impressed with our human/arachnid relationship.) Queenie's wariness is understandable. So I leave her alone and she stays in the window and we have peace in the kitchen. Except for a few not-terribly-elegant spider webs. Maybe I could teach her how to do lace? Braided, bobbin, knitted, or crochet?

Craft Report
Continuing with the sewing projects from yesterday. I have to spend some time on my serger to see if I can get the darn thing functioning at least with a three-thread overlock. It really needs to go into the shop for an overhaul. Or, preferably, I need to sell it and buy a better one. I've been putting that one off for about a decade now. Of course the longer I wait the less resale value I'll get from it. Though it was a pretty good serger when I bought it, it wasn't the model I really thought I was getting. I need differential feed which this one doesn't have. I should have stuck with Pfaff instead of jumping ship for an Elna. I do love my Pfaff sewing machine even though it's almost 30 years old. Never gives me a problem and has only been in the shop once in its whole life. It needs a new coat of paint though. Oohh, maybe something better than beige — how about my favourite rusty orange?

I have a migraine today. Good thing I don't have to do anything complicated or make any complex decisions. (The benefits of not having a "real" job.) I will have to double-check to make sure I'm not attaching the wrong pieces together in my sewing. Hope the headache is gone tomorrow because I have to pick out a new pair of glasses frames. I'll have to wear my decision on my face in public for the next few years so it had better be good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your spidey!! I used to have one, in my kitchen window above the sink, until my husband couldn't stand it any longer! ha! But I figured that kindred spirits that we were, I would let her stay. I enjoyed her spinning process... much more intricate and faster than mine! LOL!
Never knew what the genus was either, we've always just called them barn spiders.....
Thanks, Kim