Monday, July 18, 2005

Monday-Monday

I got a great prezzie today in the mail. (Well, it was from me, but I ordered it so long ago it felt like a present.) It was from Out Of Hand in Calgary and it's two magazines and a book! I lovelovelove reading material. The reason the package took so long was the book's fault: the shop was waiting on a new shipment. The title is Creative Cloth Doll Making by Patti Medaris Culea, who is a wonderful creative doll maker. I already own her second book Creative Cloth Doll Faces so I figured I needed this one to complete my collection. It includes patterns and examples of how other people have used them to make their own doll versions. The subtitle "new approaches for using fibers, beads, dyes, and other exciting techniques" just gets my juices flowing. Yum! Now I just have to stop collecting books and magazines and start actually doing it, right?

One of the magazines is the reprint of the premier of Quilting Arts. I'm still missing issues 2 and 3 but I have all the others. I can sure see how far this mag has come by contrasting the current issue vs the premier. Hard to tell it's the same magazine: the layout, art, and content have grown and improved so much. There is a definite and very cool style about it now. OK I bet you're wondering if Damselfly does quilting. Nope. Not for many many years. However this magazine has some absolutely wonderful surface design stuff in it. Suitable for garments, purses, hangings, book covers etc. And you never know — I might be inspired to actually quilt something! Someday. Eventually.

The second magazine I got is the second issue of Cloth Paper Scissors which is a sister publication of Quilting Arts. It is equally wonderful, except with a focus on paper arts. There is a little bit of overlap but I sure like the style better than Somerset Studio which I got bored of after a few years of issues. I already have issues 1 and 3 so far but I managed to miss 2 somehow. This one looks great. I haven't read it yet though. Give me a minute.

So many crafts; so little time. Damselfly flits again! (Yes, I'm still knitting Kiera's hat. I had a bit of a boo-boo so some frogging later, I'm about 2" into it.)

No comments: