Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Busy Days

But maybe not as busy as some people! A friend whom I rarely see (but would like to see more often) gifted me with this Angel-thing as she was selling at a craft fair because I totally fell in love with her and I didn't have my wallet with me. That was really sweet of her and I feel like I need to return the favour. Someday I will. Anyhoo — Angel-thing here needs embellishing with beads etc. I'm having a slight problem though because I can't figure out what to do with her face. She has this lovely little frown that I don't want to lose. Maybe I'll try to work around the rest of her with fabric paint and stamps and avoid her face area. Then add beads. Well, this isn't going to happen anytime soon, so she'll be enjoying the Christmas season naked. (Hope she doesn't feel too embarrassed about that!) For now. Just wait until I have less pending work to finish though. It'll be fun not having to make the form first.

Nancy, Angel-thing's creator, is very talented in both sewing and painting and much more creative than I am. I’m good at making things but I don’t consider myself all that creative. Nancy can make wonderful things from virtually nothing but cast-off scraps and her imagination! Unfortunately she doesn’t have a website and sells only at local craft venues. Oh, and the reason I call the doll "Angel-thing" is because she could be anything: angel, fairy, butterfly-woman, or whatever. If I think of a better name, she can have it. But I kind of like it the way it is. Even though I'm not into angels in any way.

I'm still knitting on those two pairs of socks alternately. I'm trying to have something at the right stage for demonstrating the heel turning steps yet again to my sock knitting class. Sis's socks will be at the toes soon so they'll be good for next week. The second pair are just about at the heel flap almost finish on one sock. Then I can show the heel stitch for a row or two and then the heel cup and pick-up for the gussets. If I can get past that point and ready to show the gussets on the other sock, that would be ideal.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to finish the mitred heart sachet (which is going to be done fast enough not to be worth putting on my sidebar). I have about 6 segments left to knit after reknitting the first 4 an extra time each. I would have been done by now if I'd read the instructions more carefully! It's actually kind of hard going though, not because the knitting is hard but because it's hard on my wrists and shoulders. I'm using 2.25mm needles on a yarn that would be happier with 3 or 3.5mm. But I don't want this to turn out too big! The original pattern calls for sock yarn and this handspun is more like sport yarn. As it is, it's going to be over 1/2" larger in each dimension than the pattern suggests. But it is looking quite nice if I do say so. Photo to come.

No comments: