Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Snip Snip

I didn’t end up going for a walk yesterday even though it was so nice. I got into measuring and chopping up fabrics and couldn’t stop. I now have several more tunics ready to sew. I also have a little bitty coif done. Funnily enough it looks just like a baby bonnet (which in this case it is) but in earlier times everyone wore them. And it’s usually pronounced “coyf” not “cwaf”. It kept one’s head warmer even under hoods and hats and was also part of nighttime attire. There were also chain maille versions to wear under a helmet. Early coifs were very simple and unadorned but were much more elaborate in the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods. This one is an early version:


I think the baby sized coif is too cute. (Just like the baby it’s for!) And it looks just like the medieval illustrations, doncha think?


Hope it fits that Stargazer guy. I’m going to hold off on his baby sacque for a bit while I carry on with my MIL’s tunics. I’m making these very similar to DIL’s though she’s a much smaller person. I have a deadline to complete them up to the hems when she’s invited over for dinner next Tuesday for her fitting. Of course if they’re ready sooner I’ll just carry on with the next couple of garments. However, we’re planning to go out for the day tomorrow when T-Man gets a rare day off work in the middle of the week. We both need some fresh air so we’ll be heading for the wilderness for a hike and a picnic.

No comments: