By Michele for the 7 Random Things About Me meme. But now I can’t remember her blog’s name to link to her. Sorry about that. If you’re reading this, girl, remind this swiftly aging granny! Maybe I’m just tired after babysitting the grandkidlets yesterday. Whew!
Anyway here are the rules: "Each person tagged gives 7 random facts about themselves. Those tagged need to write in their blogs 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag 7 others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and to read your blog."
I'm just posting the rules as writ even if I have no intention of actually following them. I'm such a rebel.
The random facts:
1. I love to eat fried beef liver but I try not to offend anyone else with my cravings. T-Man is not fond of it so I usually cook it for my lunch when he’s at work. With onions or without, doesn’t matter. Yum! I do not understand why others think that liking liver is weird. Yes, I know where it comes from.
2. I’ve never lived by myself. I went straight from my parents’ house to my first tiny apartment as a new bride. I’ve never lived in any other city either. I’ve only moved a few times in my life and I still live in the same neighbourhood that I grew up in. Last time we moved was over 28 years ago and there are no moving plans in our near future, even if our house is now worth something close to a million bucks.
3. I have a fascination for nature. Whenever I travel I like to know the names of the plants and wildlife that I come across and we even bring reference books with us in the old VW van for me to look them up. If I can’t find it there, I bring home pressed leaves, lichen samples, drawings and photos to research later. When I was a little girl it drove me nuts when people didn’t know what something was called when I asked. I wasn’t asking for the Latin name — even the common one would do.
4. The farthest away from home I’ve ever been is Ohio (for the HGA Convergence 2000 in Cincinnati, in case you were wondering). I didn’t know a lot of the plants there at all and none of the locals I asked knew much more. Unfortunately there wasn’t room in my luggage for any reference books. I saw my first fireflies and Japanese beetles but I didn’t see a cardinal. I was so disappointed! I mean, they named their baseball team the Cardinals so you’d think they would be a common sight, wouldn’t you? I only found stuffed ones, printed ones, ones on t-shirts, etc. None of those were the feathered kind. I wore out my red crayons colouring pictures of them as a child but we don't have cardinals in the west. Or fireflies or Japanese beetles (yet) either.
5. I’ve never had a cup of coffee and a cigarette in my life. I actually hate the smell as well as the taste of coffee and we won’t even talk about how I feel about cigarettes. Eeww, peww, pfht… However, I drink enough tea in a day to float a battleship as my late daddy would say. And in my callow youth I was known to occasionally smoke a substance that now I would rather spin instead. It was the ‘60’s after all. Haven’t touched it since though. Except for its fibrous relative of course.
6. Summer is not my favourite season. I don’t like to be too hot. Or too cold either for that matter but it’s easier to warm up than it is to cool down. I enjoy the sunshine but don’t like to be out in it unless it’s cool enough to need to wear a sweater. I especially hate when it’s warm at night because I can’t sleep well without the weight of a lot of heavy blankets on me. For that reason, early fall is my favourite time of year followed by late spring. Luckily I live where being too hot and sunny usually is not an issue. Too cold and rainy is much more common. All year around.
7. My most un-favourite colour is pink, followed closely by beige and tan. Not that I never use those colours, but I prefer them as accents in a complex colourway rather than alone. All the breast cancer charities in the world cannot convince me that pink is a colour to be desired. Magenta maybe. Fuchsia, peach, raspberry…OK. But baby, Barbie, Pepto-Bismal, cool, pale, wishy-washy pinks. Uh-uh. I’m SO not very girlie.
OK that’s it! It was hard to come up with stuff about me you likely haven't already read. Now do I tag others? I’m not good at that. And trying to find 7 people who haven’t already been tagged is nigh on impossible. If you haven’t done this one yet, go to it and say it’s my fault.