Thursday, July 19, 2007

Timing Is Everything

Anyone who’s been reading my scratchings here for awhile knows that I’ve been cleaning and reorganising my junk. Now that I’m almost finished and have a new bunch of trash and recycling to get rid of, the city’s outside workers (including garbage pickup) are threatening to go on strike. Lovely. They always time this action for the summer when the smell of the garbage heaps tends to hustle up the negotiations. Nice for picketing also when you can get a tan instead of frostbite. Though today it’s still raining.

Speaking of rain, we got soaked yesterday when we went to the farmer’s market and it started to dump on us. Of course we forgot umbrellas but it was worth the soaking to pick up fresh apricots, cherries and raspberries. Don’t need the blueberries because we have our own bushes but they were plentiful too. Also got zucchinis (yellow, green and round) and some big onions because I can’t grow them for whatever reason. Cheerfully ignored the breads, chocolates, dips and pickles but picked up some spiced pepper blend which I love. At least the rain was warm. Today it’s quite a bit cooler and my house is starting to feel cold and damp. I’ve been closing the windows for the first time in two months. I’m wearing socks and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Everything is watered now! It can stop! But they’re predicting another system coming in tomorrow.

We rented a really cute movie last evening called “Driving Lessons” starring Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley in Harry Potter), Julie Walters and Laura Linney. It was a great story and really well acted. Rupert didn’t even talk much for the first part of the movie but he has a great expressive face. With a horrible controlling mother like Laura he needed a summer job working for Julie’s elderly actress to learn how to fight out of his shell. In real life, Rupert was younger than the character he was playing and couldn’t legally drive so they had to film on private roads! If you haven’t seen it yet, go rent it.

Sorry no crafts report today — I haven’t done anything new. I have 2 half-legs on T-Man’s latest pair of socks. I wanted to wind my lace yarn into skeins for washing but I can’t get my skein winder out of its closet because there are piles of books in front of the door. Go figure. Must get those sorted out asap. I can barely get in through the door. BTW the covers are all curling from the damp. Bad sign.

No comments: