Thursday, October 23, 2008

Where Did It Go?

Please tell me where the time goes to so fast? I swear I barely get up in the morning and it’s time to go to bed again. Guess I’m not bored, huh? So what have I been doing? Well, on Tuesday I took this old sweater:

Sweater1_before

And fulled (some people call this felting but really it isn’t) it in the washing machine. Then I cut a little and stitched a little and made this:

Sweater1_tote

A tote bag for my little mini-laptop. The front pocket holds the mouse and my flash drive. See the kumihimo braid I looped through the teeny little black flash drive so I couldn’t lose it quite so easily? I made the pocket from the back neckline. The bag’s height is a wee bit short but I didn’t have any more fabric to play with below the front neck scoop. There was only a few inches of the two shoulder sections left when I was done. I even found some of the original yarn to stitch the handle area with to reinforce it. (It’s handspun - I don’t throw that out without good reason!) A pretty successful exercise in re-purposing I would say. (Is that really a word?) I’m happy with this project that gives new life to an old sweater.

What else have I been up to? I finally printed out all the pages of the digital journal I kept while we were away on our holiday in September. T-Man started to read it and got all nostalgic for our time together in our teensy van. And I realized how much warmer it was only a month ago. I don’t think I’d want to do the same trip again right now. The leaves are turning beautiful colours and some trees are totally bare. We’ve had some light frosts in the mornings. Not precisely camping weather.

Today I was working on my journal for the class that started today. Of course I’m making the book myself rather than just buying a sketch book. That’s too easy! The covers are drying under pressure and I’ll do some Coptic stitching on the signatures when they’re ready. I’ve downloaded and printed out the first lesson. Thanks to everyone for your helpful and encouraging comments. I think I’m going to enjoy this class. I’ll show you the book I’ll be working in when it’s done. Right now I have to go to bed so I can get up at the ridiculous hour of 0-dark-30am. Just because that’s when I wake up. Seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great tote, I am wishing I had some old wool sweaters.
I decided to go with a plain sketch book for the class. I will be less worried about messing it up and more likely to use it.