Monday, July 20, 2009

Elaborations

I think it’s interesting the way a project can evolve. Even if you think you know what it’s going to look like when finished, sometimes it ends up with very little resemblance to that image. Case in point: Princess Pink’s Pinafore. I began with an order idea for a pink dress from the soon-to-be-five-year-old Princess. I used the invaluable pattern search on Ravelry to find a free pattern from Berroco for the Victoria sleeveless dress. Because the shop only had 5 balls of the Peony, I got a ball of Merlot to work a contrast hem and bodice. Then when I was nearly finished, I decided that it needed more oomph so I got a ball of Aubergine. When I’d finished the edgings, I had some yarn left so decided to embellish the front with a crocheted motif stitched on. Each step influenced the next. And here’s the final results:

Princess Pink’s Pinafore

clip_image002Begun: July 12, 2009

Completed: July 20, 2009

Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Cotton, 100% cotton, 84 yds = 50 g, 5 balls 206 Peony (pink), 1 ball 208 Merlot (dk rose) and 1 ball 407 Aubergine (blue-violet). Have perhaps half a ball each Peony & Aubergine left and no Merlot.

Needles: Addi Lace 24” size 4mm and size 2.75 mm.

Hook: Clover Soft Touch 4 mm.

Pattern: Victoria child’s sundress from Berroco. Star: #144 from Edie Eckman’s “Beyond the Square: Crochet Motifs”

Comments: This was quite a quick knit/crochet though there were a lot of ends to sew in afterward.

I never did a gauge swatch but started right in with a 6 mm Denise needle and the Merlot yarn. But then didn’t like how it knitted (too sticky and too large) so reduced down to the 4 mm brass which slid along much better and gave me much closer to gauge. I worked in the round instead of flat pieces with a circular garter stitch hem beginning with a purl round and going 3 ridges tall. Switched to Peony and began st st and decreases at the same time. Switched back to Merlot at the same time as I switched to smaller needle. Began the bodice ribbing with one plain row to avoid purl bumps.clip_image004

I decided at the last minute to add the Aubergine for the crochet finishing. After a hunt through the Crochet Motifs book I chose the very last design. I slip-stitched the star in place and included tacking down the centre for security. It’s kind of 3D anyway!

Very pleased with the results and I hope the recipient likes it as well.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Louisa! That purple really works out well.

Also, you're very fast.

knitandcrochet@gmail.com said...

VERY cute!
Edie

Louisa said...

Thanks for the kind comments! Jen, you and Erin helped with the final colour choice. I just knew it needed something else!