Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cattywumpus

This is shaping up to be one of those weeks. You know, the ones you would just rather they be over and done and then we’re moving on into the week after instead. We’ve had a number of family issues, some very good and some really…not. I still have to write “a few words” to say at my birth mom’s memorial service on Saturday. I’ve written it a bunch of times already. In my head. The one that ends up on paper (soon!) probably won’t be nearly as good as the ones that happened while I was vacuuming, showering or already in bed and nearly asleep. And they all sound pretty lame – to me anyhow.

And speaking of sleep – not so much. I don’t think I’ve shifted to Daylight Savings Time yet. I hate that it disturbs my carefully orchestrated internal rhythms. I wouldn’t even pay attention to the clock except that T-Man still has to get to work on time. He’s having the same problem shifting as I am however and has been late a couple of times already. 5:30am comes awfully early, especially when your body says it’s really 4:30am.

And then there’s attempting to remember the things that need to be done morning and evening. Like applying my many psoriasis ointments. And putting my baby plants in and out of the greenhouse. I’m still nervous to leave them in overnight since it’s been somewhat colder than many of them can tolerate. I feel bad enough lugging them out from a toasty 18C into something around 6 or 7C. It warms up eventually. If the sun comes out it’s almost too hot in there so then I have to remember to open the door and windows – and close them again in the evening. There are just too many flats to fit under the basement lights anymore. And I’m not quite ready to plant them in the garden yet.

In knitting knews, I’m on the last Pebbles sleeve. And sadly I don’t think I’m going to have enough yarn left for matching socks. (Maybe cuffs with another colour for the foot?) Plus I’m going to have to do the garter hem on the darn sweater over again! Darn. I didn’t go down on the needle size and it flares and folds up and just doesn’t look good. I did the cuff on the first sleeve with much smaller needles and decreased a few stitches as well and it looks much better. Otherwise, I’m quite pleased with the pattern I made with the Knitware program. Any errors are mine! Next I’m going to have to come up with 7 little buttons. Don’t think I have anything suitable or in sufficient numbers in my stash. Oh no. A trip to Dressew! I’ve been avoiding that treasure palace for awhile so maybe it’s time. But I’ll have to go tomorrow as that’s the only time I have available.

OK. Back to knitting. Easter is the deadline. Have I mentioned that the older I get, the less I enjoy calendar-dictated holidays? They’re all becoming loaded with too many expectations. Or probably it’s just me.

No comments: