Friday, March 12, 2010

More Knitware Babble

Sorry if you’re getting tired of this subject, but I’m kind of excited about it. This is too funny – Ada (who owns the company) gave me a $1.50 off my order so it only cost me US$28.50. She said it was because I included a friendly message and it made her day! That’s me: Cheerful Damselfly trying to make the world a little brighter place. It saved me a little of the exchange rate anyhow.

Got my registration key and unlocked the program almost before the message came through. The round yoke calculator is worth the price of admission alone! And I can make my very own custom size based on my measurements. Yippee! I am a definitely non-standard pear. And I’m free to create something that fits me or to alter patterns to my hearts content without having to do all the icky math. Now maybe I can go back to my Green Star Cardi and fix the armhole and sleeves to fit the way I want. Might mean a bit of frogging but I’d rather that than have the poor thing sitting around on the needles for another year. But first, my crocheted Round Yoke Cardi is calling me.

I notice that many of the messages on the Yahoogroup for Knitware are from those having trouble installing and running the programs. In Knitware’s defence, they bend over backwards to help sort out problems and make extensive information available to users. You do have to read and follow it first though! I probably had an easier time with this than most because both my little netbook computer (upon which I am currently typing) and my big desktop are still happily running Windows XP. I’m not converting over to the dark side of Vista or 7 or whatever else they come up with until I absolutely have no choice! Having used computers since the early ‘80’s I’m kind of tired of some of the continual “improvements”. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Or at least don’t release it until it ain’t broke. Software developers take note.

Back to the crocheted cardi. I’m calling it the Tweedi Cardi. I started it last evening and got partway down the yoke. I swatched and swatched and finally came up with a subtle texture pattern that doesn’t disturb the gauge and works perfectly into the stitch count but I have to work it on the wrong-side row rendering a wee bit awkward. I will definitely put some rows in the yoke (there’s a perfect space coming up) but haven’t yet decided whether I will use it on the hem. Maybe the sleeve instead? Always a good thing to put any emphasis away from the waist to thigh area!

Meanwhile I’ve also been plugging away on the Hedgerow Socks and am now cruising down the feet. Patterned socks always go faster after the heel when only half the round is patterned! I will be happy when these are off the needles.

Please remind me why everything I’m working on lately is a dark colour? And fine yarn? Explains why it all takes so long anyway. Luckily it’s not a race to the finish. Process. It’s all about enjoying the process. The Finished Object is just icing on the cupcake.

So, changing the subject entirely, Daylight Savings Time is coming up this weekend? Guess the fact that it was finally getting light when I wake up in the morning was a problem for The Powers That Be? I’d be perfectly happy to leave well enough alone and not mess with the clock, but obviously I have no influence. Instead I have to shift my whole life around to suit. The older I get, the less I want to do that. Sometimes I barely notice and sometimes I find it hard. Unfortunately I have no choice if I don’t want to be late for everything! At least ahead is easier than back.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, you're a veritable whirlwind of textile creation! I am quite interested in your comments on Knitware, it sounds like a great program.

Louisa said...

Thanks for the kind words, Heather! The program doesn't really substitute for knowledge and experience when things get more complicated. But it's a great basic place to start and will definitely give you a garment that fits, assuming you took all the measurements (both of the body and swatch) correctly!