Friday, April 25, 2008

Live And Learn

Big Sigh! I was somewhat optimistic about how much yarn I had left for the Unmentionables yesterday. I ran out just at the end of the ruffle and before the lace edging. I will have to break into the second-last ball but that still means I have one left to return to my LYS. And I plan to use up some of the partial ball left to make a kumihimo braid for the tie. That, along with elastic, should help hold these things up. I hope. If not she’s got several pairs of her mom’s handmade suspenders to do the job! Meanwhile I think my scale is very inaccurate because I swear that yarn weighed at least half the ball. I probably need a new scale. This kitchen scale is about 30 years old and rusty from all the dye salt, soda ash, raw fleece and such that I’ve weighed on it over the years. I bet a digital one wouldn’t have lasted so long though!

We got the new rug on the stairs put in this morning. It took the 2 Turkish guys 3 hours total to do it. (Turkish. Rugs. Don’t they go together naturally?) It’s not like it’s that complex of a staircase but it’s narrow and there’s not much room to maneuver at the bottom. It looks pretty good and I really like the colour but I’m not 100% happy with the way they did the edge that shows on the bottom half of the stairs. It maybe needs another tack or staple to push it in against the riser because there’s a gap at the top of each one. Dust collector! However I didn’t notice before I signed off on it so my bad. T-Man can fix it himself if it’s that big of a problem. It would only take a few minutes. The rug is nice and thick and cushy so it’s taking a bit of getting used to after that ancient one. I’ve been vacuuming up little fuzzy green rug bits all afternoon and I think it’s spitting them out when I’m not looking.

While the Turkish guys were busy I couldn’t get upstairs to my computer and studio so I amused myself by doing a bunch of housework and then knitting for awhile on the Hepburn Cardi which was the only thing left downstairs. I was wondering why I’m so tired now but I realized that I ended up vacuuming the whole house, which I try never to do all in one day because it’s hard on my neck. Guess I couldn’t help myself! It’s those little fuzzy green bits’ fault. Anyway I’m too tired to edit photos so you’ll get the before and afters later. T’s barbequing hot Italian sausages for dinner so I’d better go make something to go with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Damselfly, I've been reading your blog for a long time and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it. You post more consistently than many blogs, so I always know there will be something new and interesting to read here. I get a big kick out of your comments on daily life and I've learned a lot about fiber arts from you. Thanks for all the work you put into keeping a great blog going!

Barbara M.

Louisa said...

Thank you for your kind comment! I just go where the bloggy muse takes me. Glad someone else enjoys the ride too!

PS You aren't one of my sisters, are you? You have the same name and initial!

Anonymous said...

Nope, although I'd be honored to claim you! I'm one of those readers who seldom comments but always reads your posts. Too shy, I guess, even in blogland where shyness is even sillier than it is in real life!

I live in New Jersey, and I'm a retired teacher with 3 grandkids(so far), 2 in NH and 1 in Michigan. I enjoy reading about what you are knitting for your grandkids, and I'm putting the unmentionables in the queue for later although I HATE knitting with cotton. But they are so endearingly sweet for a little girl, I think. I'm also a beginning weaver, although so far I have resisted spinning.

I don't blog myself, but I have a great appreciation for those of you who do. We must be of a similar age if your sister is also Barbara..... there are no young ones being named Barbara anymore, are there?

Barbara M.