Sunday, January 17, 2010

Felting Fun

“A successful marriage is basically an endless cycle of wrongs committed, apologies offered, and forgiveness granted…all leavened by the occasional orgasm.”  Dan Savage

Well, I’d like to think there’s a bit more to it than that! However, he does kinda point to some really handy skills necessary for a good relationship. And of course it applies equally to both sides.

So my spouse and I did some bonding yesterday. Bonding of fibres that is. I finished knitting him a pair of slippers like mine (but of course without the fuzzy novelty yarn) in black and red marl yarn both held together. I increased the width by 4 sts and the length by 2 inches before the toe decreases. T-Man helped me with the felting for the insoles, layering the wool and rolling the sausage the required 400 times. His neck hurt some when finishing the felt piece on the washboard though so I finished it up for him. Meanwhile I ran his slippers through 2 long cycles in the washing machine with hot water and Orvus. He tried them on while still wet and they fit perfectly! Now we’re just waiting for them to dry which will take until tomorrow unless I put them on the rack in the dryer like I did with mine. I’ve traced his foot for the insoles and just need to cut them out and stitch them in when the slippers are dry. He says he had fun making felt and learned something in the process. Probably how much work it actually is!

I also finished the first socks of the year:

New Ninja Socks

For: The Ninja

clip_image002
Begun: December 25, 2009

Completed: January 14, 2010

Yarn: Lana Grossa Meilenweit Mega Boots Stretch, 70% superwash wool/23% polyamide/7% elité, colour 720 (blues, purples, green), 100g = 460 yds. Used nearly the entire ball.

Needles: Clover Takumi 7” bamboo dpns, 2mm

Comments: Damselfly’s Plain Socks on 72 sts, cuff 30 rounds, leg 9” before heel flap, foot 8.5” before toe decreases, dec to 28 sts, dog-ear reduction.

The Ninja’s mother-in-law is throwing him a birthday party (36! Yikes!) next Sunday so I’ll be able to give them to him then. And I’ve already started a pair (or two) for Stargazer. I’ll see if there’s enough yarn to get 2 matching pairs out of the one 100g ball. I managed that trick last time but his feet are bigger now! If I can get one pair done by next week he can get them at the same time his daddy receives his socks. A Twofer!

2 comments:

Ev said...

That's a gorgeous colourway! Isn't it great when you can get your husband to help you with your passion? He'll appreciate the finished product so much more! I had mine baking bread with me the other day. It was a lot of fun for both of us.

Sharon in Surrey said...

Marital bonding eh?? And here I thought I was in for a little thrill on a dull Monday after being knocked flat by some nasty bug for the weekend!! Drat!! I Love Dan Savage's explanation of Marriage - too true, too true!! haha I'll bet he didn't learn how to felt slippers in HIS kitchen!! And I took a second look at those socks - interesting color!!