Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Home Where The Buffalo Roam

I’ve been trying to get back on track with my crafty stuff after focussing so closely on The Talk for so long. After I dug out all the fibre samples from the stash (aka Attic Insulation) I got excited about all the yummy stuff in there. I also promised, perhaps foolishly, a scarf for the Guild’s 75th Anniversary display at the Seymour Art Gallery. If it’s knitted, it must also be handspun. So I dug out the tiny bags (only a couple of ounces total) of the bison and put the lace flyer on Tori (the Louet Victoria wheel). I used the 13:1 whorl (second-smallest) so it wasn’t going too fast and creating wire. It was surprisingly difficult getting started! I’m kind of out of practise and this short (short!) fuzzy stuff got away from me a couple of times. Once it did, it was hard to get it started again because it kept breaking. I learned to put lots more twist in it before even trying to join in the fibre source again. Here’s the day’s results:

BisonYarnSpin You’ll notice how I wasn’t being as careful to load the bobbin evenly as I should. Bad damselfly! Out-of-practise-damselfly. I didn’t want to stop in case I couldn’t get started again. I have another bobbin’s worth to go however, so there’s lots more chance for improvement. I should have it just about right by the time I’m finished! I have no idea what the yardage will finally be after plying but if there’s enough I plan to knit a lace triangle, exact pattern TBA. Yes, I know I haven’t finished either the socks or the green cardi yet. So? I have an actual deadline for the scarf: April 15. Deadlines count first.

It was really enjoyable spinning out on the deck in the sunshine yesterday afternoon. I had to wear a hat again to keep the sun out of my eyes! (This time it was my own hat, not T-Man’s.) However today looks more like February: cloudy, with rain forecast for later. I’ll probably be walking in the rain tomorrow morning when I have to take my hearing aids to the audiologist for repair. The left one has developed what I think is the same problem as the right one did a year or so ago. It still works but it’s too quiet as if one program is broken. Last time I think it was a broken wire and after they replaced a piece (for $30) it’s been working fine since. Hopefully it won’t be any more expensive than that. I do try to take good care of my “ears”! Anyhow, I need to get some tea while I’m at the mall. Mmmm…fresh Murchie’s #22 tea. Slurp.

Heading for the teapot…

No comments: