Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Disturbed & Perturbed

Maybe it’s the undeserved migraine I have today but I’ve been feeling a bit frustrated lately. There are several reasons for this attitude. One is that somehow I keep wanting to start new projects without finishing the old ones. And the list of “wanna-dooz” just keeps getting longer and longer. I only have two hands and no more time than anyone else. On the other hand, if I look at my Finished Objects list, it’s longer than I think it is.

Nevertheless this is prime birthday season in our family. At least 6 people have birthdays in the next couple of weeks! Starting yesterday with my lovely niece who just turned 20 and desperately wants another pair of Auntie Damselfly’s socks because….gasp! She actually wore out her last pair!! And Friday’s birthday is my dear son, The Ninja, who also wants socks. Of course. Since it takes about 2 weeks for me to knit a pair I’m obviously late to the party but I did begin both pairs yesterday. Added bonus was they both got to pick the yarn themselves! Now they just have to maintain a little patience. And not get frustrated. Heh.

Happily I did finish Auntie M’s shawlette (yet another birthday coming up) and it turned out very nicely indeed. So much so that I’m tempted to keep it myself! Though if I’m that enamoured I still have enough yarn to make another one just like it. I’ll write it up properly when it gets light enough to take a photo. I missed my opportunity yesterday when I was busy visiting with both my children (at once! miracle!) and babysitting a grumpy Stargazer while trying to feed, de-cast-ify and bathe Rosebud at the same time. Just a little occupied.

Then Milady Daughter and I took Rosebud for her 6th cast (one per week!) and her doctor is now sure that she didn’t get the Botox in her last injection. Pooh. It was a 50/50 chance as part of the study. Anyway it will only set her back a little and not be a problem in the long run. Otherwise Rosebud is doing very well, eating a tonne and growing a lot. Another reason for the many casts because you don’t want to impede the circulation as her leg is growing along with the rest of her. The good news is that I get to have them both over every week before their hospital appointment and then I go with them to be an extra hand. Good thing I’m strong these days because I’m quite helpful in the lifting department with a car seat and stroller to be manipulated in and out of the car etc. Daughter is still recuperating from her C-section and finds it awkward to manage it. I’m just glad I can help.

Backing up a little and changing the subject again, on Sunday we decided that there are several plants that I could get started under the grow-lights. Yes, I know it’s still nominally winter but some things are slow to germinate. And some things take a long time to get big enough to transplant. And some things can go out as early as we can get the beds ready for them. So with that in mind, I went through the seed stash and figured out what we needed to buy and then we went to the plant store. Or more correctly: stores. It took two before I managed to find most of what I was looking for. I was still too late to get more of the Juliet tomatoes that I like so much from West Coast Seeds. This is the 3rd year in a row I’ve lucked out and either the seed supply is short or everybody loves them as much as I do! I have a few old seeds left but I can’t save them from the plants because they are an F1 hybrid. Boo-hoo! I need to find an open-pollinated tomato with the same characteristics: vigorous growth, production and disease resistance in a cherry-tomato-sized Roma type. They even ripen and keep well on the kitchen counter (we ate the last one in December) and halves dry to yummy morsels in the dehydrator. So far, no such luck in finding a replacement. I haven’t totally given up on old Juliet yet though. Next we go to their retail store in Ladner. I’m on a mission! If they don’t have them there, they don’t have them at all.

On another subject entirely – yet still about frustration – you know how it is when you have a bee in your bonnet but you can’t talk about it in public for fear of Hurt Feelings? Not to mention sounding even more rude than I usually manage? Sorry to tease without giving you details, but I’m annoyed with an attitude that I’ve encountered recently. If I say anything to the contrary, I sound like an intolerant bigot. I’m not. At least I believe that others are welcome to their convictions whether or not I agree with them. As long as their beliefs don’t impact me in any negative way, that is. However I think I’m also entitled to have an opposing opinion but unfortunately some people just can’t discuss things in a rational manner. What do you do if you can’t agree to disagree? I guess you let it drop and then you avoid the bone of contention. And perhaps the person espousing it too. But I’m still annoyed. And frustrated that I can’t say more. And no, the problem is not with anybody close to me.

Whew! Got that off my chest. I feel better now. (Also the Advil kicked in.) Probably made my Dear Readers frustrated in turn though, didn’t I?

And this darn blog needs more pictures! Not dark rainy blech though…

No comments: