The only reason that I finally succumbed was the fact that my weavers guild has a presence on Instagram (@GVWSG) and they wanted to share our tea towel exchange (#teatowelsgvwsg). As I said last post I'd prefer to keep my plans more to myself. At least until we have the final exchange at our June meeting. I know - mean, aren't I? Heh.
In other news, I finally finished my slippers! First I knit the giant socks and then I fulled them in the washing machine with hot water, Orvus and a couple of towels to speed up the process. I already had the inner soles made, cut from a big piece of grey Romney-cross wool handmade felt. And I had the new slipper soles which turned out to be a thinner grade of split leather than my last pair. At first glance they look like sheepskin but that's just an attached piece of polyester pile knit. Here are the pre-assembled parts:
I turned the slippers inside out and used the same wool yarn to stitch on the inner sole. Those claw hair clips work great to hold things in place.
The felt inner soles aren't necessary but I like the extra thickness and it seems to protect the knitting from wear, at least a little bit.
Then I turned them back right side out and used doubled nylon thread to stitch the leather soles on:
The clips came in handy again!
These are not the classiest slippers of all time but they're warm! Check out the old pair:
You can just see one obvious hole by the heel but lurking underneath the grubby soles are several more big ones. The inner soles are worn right down to the fake fleece at the heels. I ripped off the slippers from the soles and chucked them but even though the soles are dirty and the polyester is nearly worn right off, I put them away. Just in case I need them for a pattern or something. Since I can't get these anymore I'm concerned that I won't have replacements when the new ones inevitably wear out. They get worn indoors all winter unless I'm wearing my Birkenstocks for more support.
Warm feet! Ahhhh....