Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Spinning Wednesday?

Well, as the observant may have noticed, I missed out on Spinning Tuesday yesterday. So I started this morning (after washing last night's dishes) with some relaxing spinning. Now the cat has stolen my favourite spinning chair! Not much to show yet so instead I'll show off yet another finished garment:


This was what kept me from spinning yesterday. I was bound and determined to complete this tunic or maybe it's a smock. Not too au courant, eh? After all, I don't even know when I cut it out or how long I've had the fabric. It's been that long! The pattern is modified from one I bought in the mid-'70's. This is number 4 from this Vogue pattern and number 2 of the modified version. I got so much wear out of the last 3 of these that I wore them out! I've changed the sleeves to no cuffs (so I can wind them up when they get in my way) and extended the collar and widened the neckline to match because it was choking me. That adjustment is why I notice in retrospect that the top 2 buttons are too close together. I should have re-spaced them. Silly me. You can't see from the picture, but the fabric is a tiny houndstooth check in black and dark red. So the black buttons aren't really as odd a choice as they look. I sewed them on with red thread and I like the effect. The advantage of not working at a "real job" is you can wear whatever you like whether it's stylish or not.

While reading my email I knit a bit more on the Hooray For Me fingerless gloves so they are just past wristwarmers now. Plus I got almost one heel done on the UFO Confetti sock. This is my TV knitting and we rented "Million Dollar Baby", the Clint Eastwood flick last night so lots of knitting time there. (There's sure nothing good on TV! Everything half-decent gets moved around so you can't find it and then cancelled because nobody's watching it. Phooey.) I'm going to start on the second sock before going further on the first one. That old SSS lurks always in wait to snag the unwary!

Rant Alert

I heard today that one of my sisters-in-law is now almost totally housebound by pain. She is only two years older than me. Now that's scary! She is the same one I mentioned in one of my previous posts who is morbidly obese. I don't mean fat. Fat is normal. I mean something close to 300 lbs. As you might expect she has a large number of health problems related to this. And they're always somebody else's fault. She blames the doctors for not making her better. If she didn't like what they said, she changed doctors. This does not compute with me — did the doctors make her eat too much of the wrong things? Did they cause her to get into a catch-22 of it being too painful to exercise/too painful to sit around? She's tried every quack cure/supplement/diet known and never kept up any of the good things long enough to get results. She even tried having her stomach stapled and all that did was nearly kill her. The rest of her stomach stretched back out to compensate. If you can't take responsibility for what passes your lips what can you control in this life? I'm not blaming her for her illnesses, but I am blaming her for not really doing anything about it for herself. Doctors can only help so much and you have to be willing to help yourself and do the things you know you need to do to stay as healthy as you can for as long as you can. You owe it to yourself to do your best with what you've got. Take responsibility! Shit happens enough on its own without contributing to it.

End of rant.

No comments: