Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Socktober The Latest

These little ones made up for the length of time it took to knit the Earl Grey Socks. They only took a few days.


Baby Socks

Begun: October 25, 2007
Completed: October 30, 2007

Yarn: DGB Confetti, 75% wool/25% nylon, 210 m = 50 g, colour 778, half a ball of leftovers.
Needles: Clover Takumi 5” dpns, 2 mm.

Pattern: Damselfly’s Basic Socks on 48 sts, cuffs 2/2 ribbed for 3”, foot 3” before toe, dec to 16 sts, dog-ear reduction.

Comments: These are still a bit too big for Stargazer. Yes I know he will grow. The foot is 5” long so will likely fit him sometime next year. I’m already starting on a smaller pair that just may fit him now with a little room left over instead of enough room to fit both feet in one sock at the same time!

It’s not my birthday until Friday but I’ve already been taken out to eat twice! Once on Sunday for dinner (Thai food, yummy) with my MIL (aka Nana) and today for sushi lunch (also yummy) with my birth mom. She also gave me a packet of vintage table linens and a jar of organic low-sugar blackberry jelly, plus I got a birthday card from each mom and a lovely email message from an old friend from Tennessee. I’m feeling quite spoiled. And full. Too bad I can’t have a birthday without actually getting any older.

The postman just brought me another gift, though it was one that I ordered for myself. Another packet of books from Chapters/Indigo. Yay! The most exciting book in this box was one I had heard great things about from Grumperina’s blog. She was blown away by the techniques in Lynne Barr’s Knitting New Scarves and she wasn’t kidding! These are mind-bending shapes to knit so the author chose the ubiquitous scarf as the vehicle to showcase them. Just as well. A scarf is kind of an oversized swatch with a purpose and people are far more likely to knit and wear a wild scarf than anything else. The artistic among us may choose to take the techniques further and create…what? Art for sure. Not so sure about anything practical. But you never can tell what will occur once you’ve understood the architecture behind these amazing knitted shapes. This book should be shelved near Cat Bordhi, Debbie New and maybe Teva Durham’s Loop-d-Loop books. It’s that innovative. Can’t wait to actually read it! Hope I can actually understand any of it. Maybe I just need to get out the needles and yarn and try something.

Now I need to spend some time and cover my latest books with my usual clear plastic protector film. I’ve been saving them up for a couple of months and there’s getting to be a noticeable pile. They are much more subtle when spread out among my many bookcases! The floor isn’t sagging too much under the weight yet. Emphasis on the yet. Hopefully the house will hold up until I run out of room on the shelves, which won't be long. Then I will have to do something. Or stop buying books. Noooo...

No comments: