Hope you had a lovely May Day, aka Beltane (that’s “BELL-ta-neh” or close enough). I was up at sparrowfart welcoming in the summer!
Not with bells on or a maypole though. That would be too much effort at 5:30am. I did sing the Hal An Tow song. All day. It’s one of those earworms for me that doesn’t stop going around in my head. Good thing it wears off eventually. I even sang it for my carpooling buddies as I was dropped off home after our Spectrum group get-together. Poor things! Lucky for them I only know the words to the chorus and not the verses.
Speaking of Spectrum, our group project of Word-Inspired Bags is coming along. We shared what we were planning at the meeting yesterday. Some really good ideas and I can’t wait to see how they all turn out. I was wrong about the deadline. I have until July which is great since June is shaping up to be a busy month. I was glad I spent time on Wednesday getting the main body part of my bag done because I’m afraid I’m going to run out of momentum as I do sometimes. Especially when I have other things on my list that are more immediately important to me.
Quick turn of subject and I finally have an FO photographed and ready to unveil. Unfortunately not in fact on the recipient though that may happen some time.
Begun: March 26, 2008
Completed: April 30, 2008
Yarn: Sublime Yarns Organic Cotton DK, 100% organic cotton, 120 yds = 50 g, colour 94 Scumble (pink), used 4.5 balls or 540 yds. Care – machine washable, dry flat to shape.
Needles: Denise circular size US5 (3.75mm) and 2 Crystal Palace bamboo dpns size 4mm.
Finishing: 20” of 3/8” swimsuit elastic, cotton/rubber. 1 metre 5/8” grosgrain ribbon, cream. Setacolor fabric paint.
Pattern: Emma’s Unmentionables, designed by Lee Juvan, from Knitty, Spring 2008. Size 5/6. No modifications except the yarn substitution.
Comments: For once I did a pattern as written. I attempted to make a kumihimo braid for the tie but it didn’t suit. Looked like a boat rope! So I went with the elastic and grosgrain ribbon both of which I painted pink with extremely diluted fabric paint and ironed to set the colour. Cute!
It only took 4.5 balls of yarn instead of the 7 that the pattern specified for the largest size. The organic cotton might not be as drapey or spongy as the cotton/acrylic microfibre but it’s actually lighter in total weight. I prefer to dress kids in natural fibres rather than synthetics. We’ll see how well these bloomers stay up in use.
I found the yarn a bit splitty to knit with and difficult to splice invisibly. It was better when I wove the ends through on the back of the knitting which I probably should have done when joining on the circular parts. I’m still not certain how durable the joins or woven-in ends will be after machine washing several times. It takes forever to dry flat so busy mom might be tempted to machine dry it though I’m afraid it will shrink some if she does.
I really enjoyed the pattern even though the lace edging application felt awkward to me. It’s kind of backwards to the way I usually work these things and with the dpns it was more fiddly. Especially when I first tried it with aluminum needles! I quickly had to go out and get some bamboo 4mm dpns. It looks fine though, except for the one little glitch at the top edge of the ruffle that I didn’t notice until the lace edging was completely applied and the ends finished off. Oh well. Such is life.
What’s next? First the Secret Project Part 1 is finished so it’s on to Secret Project Part 2. There’s also a Part 3 but we aren’t ready for that yet. Are you feeling teased yet? I am trying my darnedest to get things done and off my list. I feel a need to start new things. Must control myself.
Oh, and good news about the House Next Door. We have new neighbours! They are moving in as I type. They must be nice because Ms Polly Manytoes actually wandered over, went inside and checked out the whole house while I was trying to find out where she got to. I found her walking down their front sidewalk right in front of the poor moving men, oblivious to the fact they were carrying heavy items in and out and could, gasp, trip over her slow old deaf self. I picked her up and the new (very young!) owner came out and laughingly told me about her inspection of the inside of his house. He thinks she’s sweet! Whew.
I’m not actually sure yet how many people will be living there. Someone was moving into the basement suite yesterday but it was hard to tell exactly who because of the gang of assistants and visitors including children and a baby. I did briefly meet the couple who actually bought the house the other day (also thanks to Ms Polly the Pest) and they have a toddler. Nice to have life settling down next door again after a year and a half of silence or building chaos. Of course we may be complaining later this summer when they are having late evening gatherings on the deck and we’re trying to sleep! Both main house and basement suite have barbeques and outdoor furniture set up already, including a heater so everyone is ready to party. First we need some summer.